Author Topic: Gruyere - Propionii Shermani or Not?  (Read 1807 times)

Offline rsterne

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 54
  • Too many hobbies - too little time!
Gruyere - Propionii Shermani or Not?
« on: June 06, 2022, 04:16:11 PM »
Half the recipes I have for Gruyere say to use a small amount ("pinch" or 1/32 tsp. in 4-8 gal. etc.) of Propionii Shermani, while the remainder do not mention it.... I use 1/8 tsp. in an 8.4 litre (just over 2 gal.) make of Emmental, and for other Swiss cheeses.... What do you use, and what is traditional for Gruyere?....

Bob
Cheesemaking has rekindled our love of spending time together, Diane and me!

Offline Bantams

• Mature Cheese
  • Cheeses: 28
  • Default personal text
Re: Gruyere - Propionii Shermani or Not?
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2022, 05:32:43 PM »
PS is not traditional in Gruyere, and should not be added.

Offline rsterne

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 54
  • Too many hobbies - too little time!
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2022, 06:40:09 PM »
Most information I find online says it is used in Gruyere, including Jim Wallace's recipe.... Even the technical sheet from Abiasa for their PS culture say to use it in "Emmental, Gruyere, Jarlsberg, Compte, Tilsit and Appenzeller".... However, some recipes do not call for it, hence my confusion....

I know Gruyere does not go through a "warm stage" to encourage eye formation, and typically has a few small eyes, that tend to disappear after a year or so.... What I am really asking is if the PS is required to create the taste?....

Bob
Cheesemaking has rekindled our love of spending time together, Diane and me!

Offline Bantams

• Mature Cheese
  • Cheeses: 28
  • Default personal text
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2022, 09:42:32 PM »
Well, PS is naturally present in the raw milk of pastured cows, but it only expresses itself when the cheese is the right type (elastic curd, low salt) and aged the right way (warm phase). That said, it is considered a major flaw to develop holes (besides the very occasional hole) or have the strong PS flavor, in a cheese such as Gruyere.

So I think it is best not to add it, or add a miniscule amount (like what sticks to a toothpick).

Or, at least that's my understanding of it. :)
« Last Edit: June 06, 2022, 09:48:56 PM by Bantams »

Offline fattyacid

• Medium Cheese
  • Cheeses: 5
  • Default personal text
    • Lark's Meadow Farms
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2022, 04:24:59 AM »

Some quick cut and paste notes. Comte is considered the "King of Gruyere's"

PASTE- Comté should have an ivory-colored paste that can range from pale to yellow, a variation that depends on whether it’s made from the milk from summertime or from wintertime. The “eyes” of Comté should be visible — they are the result of proper affinage and should be the size of a pea or slightly larger (Maybe 2 dozen gas holes in a whole 80 lb wheel). If affinage is prolonged at too low of a temperature, the result will be that no eyes form. Eyes only form from milk produced while cows are on pasture.

-FA
Whence come I and whither go I? That is the great unfathomable question, the same for every one of us. Science has no answer to it.
Max Planck