Author Topic: What Conditions to Keep Cheese Before Waxing?  (Read 1045 times)

Offline MellonFriend

• Young Cheese
  • Cheeses: 0
What Conditions to Keep Cheese Before Waxing?
« on: June 22, 2022, 03:24:56 AM »
Hello all,  I am very new to cheesemaking and have recently tried colby as my first hard cheese.  After bringing I have been letting my cheese sit on the counter and air dry for a two-three days before waxing as during this time it seems to perspire and I figured that should stop before I wax it to help the wax stick and mold to not form under the wax.  Am I doing the right thing by not waxing it until a few days have past after brining?  If so during this time is it okay to have it just on my counter in about 71-73 degree temperatures?  Would it be better to put it in my cheese cave for this process?  I did not notice any mold growth during this time, but I'm not 100% sure.  Thanks in advance. :)

Offline rsterne

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 54
  • Too many hobbies - too little time!
Re: What Conditions to Keep Cheese Before Waxing?
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2022, 04:38:32 AM »
I air-dry my cheese for 2-4 days at 55*F (turning twice a day) for 9 months of the year.... In the summer we require air conditioning here during the day, but at night it usually drops to about 60*F, and the drying period is therefore warmer.... That means it takes less time, of course, and I have never had a problem with the cheese sweating, but we only make semi-hard and hard cheese.... If you can't keep the temperature and humidity low enough to prevent sweating, you could just put it in your cheese cave for a week or so (it will take longer because of the higher humidity), and wipe it with brine or vinegar to prevent mold....

When we wax our cheese, I heat the wax to 250*F (be VERY careful of fire) and dip for 5 seconds (per side) on the first coat to kill any mold spores.... I then build up a total of 4 layers of wax, but only dip briefly (a second or less) to prevent each layer from melting the ones already in place.... I have never had any mold growing under the wax, unless it had a crack in it....

Bob
Cheesemaking has rekindled our love of spending time together, Diane and me!

Offline paulabob

• Mature Cheese
  • Cheeses: 12
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2022, 02:13:23 PM »
My kitchen is usually mid 70s.  I'll dry it in the fridge, covered with some cheesecloth, and turning frequently so it doesn't dry out before vacuum sealing (or waxing).

Offline MellonFriend

• Young Cheese
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2022, 02:29:06 PM »
Thank you both for your replies! 

I think it sounds like in the future I'll put it in the fridge or cheese cave to dry before waxing next time.  Hopefully the two batches I made will still be edible.  They seemed to have developed a bit of a rind as they were sitting on the counter.  I'm assuming that's the drying out that Paulabob mentioned.

So second question then, How do I know when the cheese is ready to be waxed?

Offline rsterne

• Old Cheese
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2022, 02:59:53 PM »
I have heard the description "like a clammy handshake", but I dry mine more than that.... Ideally, I want it dry to the touch, or at the least, dry on top a few hours after I turn it.... It is often still slightly damp on the bottom just before you turn it over.... As long as the rind doesn't crack, I think you are OK.... If you notice even the tiniest crack, wax it immediately....

Bob

Offline MellonFriend

• Young Cheese
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2022, 05:02:09 PM »
Okay, well mine has already developed some small cracks.  I didn't know that was an issue.  What does that mean for the cheese and what caused the cracking to happen?  Was it dry too fast?  I will be waxing it today as soon as I can. 

Offline rsterne

• Old Cheese
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2022, 10:15:43 PM »
Excessive drying (too fast or too much) can cause the rind to crack from shrinkage.... I would wax it right away (250*F wax to kill any mold spores), or vacuum bag it.... Vacuum removes the air and prevents mold from growing, in my experience....

Bob

Offline MellonFriend

• Young Cheese
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2022, 03:12:28 PM »
Okay it's waxed!  ;D We'll see how it turns out in a few weeks.  Thanks for all your help so far!