Author Topic: So what happens if???  (Read 1491 times)

Offline MacGruff

• Mature Cheese
  • Cheeses: 23
  • Default personal text
So what happens if???
« on: July 04, 2022, 02:20:53 PM »
I have had great luck with my bloomy rind cheeses including Bries and Camembert style cheeses. All of their recipes tell you to start aging the cheese at one temp/humidity level and then finish them at a different temp/humidity level. What I am wondering about is what happens if you wrap the young cheese in the breathable paper when its time, but DO NOT move it to the other temp/humidity. Has anyone done this and if so what were the results?

Offline Bantams

• Mature Cheese
  • Cheeses: 28
  • Default personal text
Re: So what happens if???
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2022, 04:24:13 PM »
It will ripen much too quickly on the outer portion (while the inside stays very firm), and it will very ammoniated. 

Offline mikekchar

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 118
  • Default personal text
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2022, 03:26:00 AM »
Yes, that's been my experience.  You want warmer temperatures to get the mold growing well and getting good coverage.  This will mean that the cheese will age evenly from every direction.  But if you leave it like that, the mold will produce ammonia more quickly than it can get absorbed by the cheese and it will have a solid center with a liquid, ammoniated outside.  By cooling it down, you slow down the mold growth.  This will slow down the ammonia production, which will allow the cheese to absorb it fully to the center.  Then you'll have a nice evenly ripened cheese.

Offline MacGruff

• Mature Cheese
  • Cheeses: 23
  • Default personal text
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2022, 12:03:20 PM »
Thanks for the information folks. I guess that's an experiment i will NOT perform!    8)