Author Topic: Altbier, Naltbier!  (Read 1866 times)

Offline Flound

• Young Cheese
  • Cheeses: 3
  • He's back! My brain tried to off me. Failed!
    • Gooseberry Hollow YT channel
Altbier, Naltbier!
« on: March 21, 2023, 02:48:46 PM »
https://youtu.be/23wgSqA-Aro

My Not Altbier - perhaps best described as a Naltbier.

It was supposed to be an Altbier, a top fermented beer, as ales are done, but it’s cold conditioned, like a lager. From Düsseldorf and surrounding environs.

It’s a regional rival to Kölsch, another top fermented beer, which is from Cologne. I’ve made a couple of Kölsch this summer.

Anyway, long story short, it was meant to be entered into a brewing competition, but the last package of Kölsch yeast  in town, aye caramba, failed. 72 hours of bupkus fermentation. In the end, I resorted to use an ale yeast used for NEIPAs, which had some enzymes that cause cloudiness and enhance fruit esters, so at that point, this beer ceased to be a viable contestant because it had to use a German top fermenting yeast.

In German, old Canadian beer translates as ‘altes kanadisches bier’ so this became Kanadelicious Beer.

Offline B e n

• Medium Cheese
  • Default personal text
Re: Altbier, Naltbier!
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2023, 01:46:33 PM »
Enter it anyway, you will get dinged for clarity but if it tastes good you could still do well.

Offline Flound

• Young Cheese
  • He's back! My brain tried to off me. Failed!
    • Gooseberry Hollow YT channel
Re: Altbier, Naltbier!
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2023, 06:45:02 AM »
Sadly, the ingredients disqualify the beer. It had to be made with a Kölsch or German ale yeast.

Thanks for the props, though! Tasting will be in about 10 days. I’ll post the tasting results!