Author Topic: Rennet - sat at room temperature  (Read 1989 times)

Offline JayW777

• New Cheese
  • Cheeses: 0
  • Default personal text
Rennet - sat at room temperature
« on: March 22, 2023, 06:15:58 PM »
Hi all!  First time poster, long time lurker.  Quick question for y'all.

I bought a small bottle of veal rennet last week.  I know rennet is supposed to be stored in the fridge always.  However, during my first make with this new rennet, I let the bottle sit out at room temperature for the duration of the make (about 5 hours), before noticing it and putting the bottle back in the fridge.

Is this duration of exposure to room temperature an issue?  That is, should I expect a decrease in flocc power from this bottle of rennet?  Or will one afternoon at room temperature have zero/minimal effect on the product?  I'm just not sure how sensitive this stuff is to exposure.

Thanks!
- Jay

Offline B e n

• Medium Cheese
  • Cheeses: 3
  • Default personal text
Re: Rennet - sat at room temperature
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2023, 01:55:59 PM »
Not that sensitive.

I usually pull all my stuff for a make out and let it set on the counter while I am working, helps me keep from forgetting to add stuff. Sometimes it doesn't get put away right away (absent mindedness). No loss of performance noted. I don't suspect its that hot in Montana this time of year either :)

Offline JayW777

• New Cheese
  • Cheeses: 0
  • Default personal text
Re: Rennet - sat at room temperature
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2023, 05:22:04 PM »
Thanks!

Quick follow-up, I used the rennet yesterday and got flocculation at a normal time.  Seems the rennet is just fine!