Author Topic: cheese tastes good but doesnt melt well  (Read 3321 times)

Offline borisb2

• Medium Cheese
  • Cheeses: 0
  • Default personal text
cheese tastes good but doesnt melt well
« on: March 31, 2023, 02:40:22 AM »
Hi there,

first post here :)

I started my cheesemaking journey 6 months ago and so far expermineted with various semi-hard recipes, using mesophilic and/or thermophilic cultures. So far the cheeses tasted ok to actually tasty (getting better and better), BUT pretty every chesse I am making does not really melt well and tends to get crumbly when aging longer.

Could the reason be using a small wine fridge that has too much ventilation so the cheese dries out too much? Should I use small sealed boxes for aging the cheese in the fridge instead? Does using pasteurized milk (3.8% fat) have not enough fat? Or am I using maybe too much cultures that acidifies the milk too much? .. or all of the above? :)

Thanks

Online MacGruff

• Mature Cheese
  • Cheeses: 23
  • Default personal text
Re: cheese tastes good but doesnt melt well
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2023, 11:58:38 AM »
I would first look at your milk source. Pasteurized milk is not necessarily a problem, but see if it is homogenized or not. If it is (homogenized, that is) then it could be the source of your troubles. I had similar issues and when I switched to a pasteurized, but non-homogenized milk source, it solved the problem.

I would also recommend that you get a hold of Caldwell's book "Master Cheesemaking" and read it. It's got many good tips and techniques for solving all kinds of problems.

Offline mikekchar

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 118
  • Default personal text
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2023, 12:40:07 PM »
pretty every chesse I am making does not really melt well and tends to get crumbly when aging longer.

This will be that your cheese is too acidic.  There could be a number of reasons but there are a couple of main things.  Timing for when you salt the cheese is critical.  This determines the final pH of the cheese.  Recipes that say "wait X hours" are just wrong.  Each cheese will be different.  You milk will be different.  You room temperature will be different.  Many, many, many things will be different.  I tend to taste the whey that's draining from the cheese to judge when to salt it.  Jim Wallace has a good chart for estimating pH for your cheese:

• pH 6.2-6.5 the curds and whey should taste sweet like milk
  • 5.8-5.7 the curds will still have a slight sweetness but nearing neutral
  • 5.5-5.4 they will taste neutral, neither sweet nor acid.
  • 5.2-5.3 a slight acid tang develops
  • 5.1-4.9 a definite acid tang
  • 4.7-4.4 and below the taste begins to have the tang of a euro style yogurt

For good melting you want it between the 5.1 and 5.3 range.

However, I suspect another likely problem may be over pressing.  Most recipes call for over pressing and a certain very popular Youtuber regularly over presses his cheeses.

The idea with pressing is that it's *not* to get the whey out.  That will happen naturally with no effort on your part.  Pressing is *only* to "close the rind".  Basically to make a smooth cheese on the outside.  Ironically, if you press too hard, too early, you will close the rind too quickly.  This will lock whey in the cheese and it won't be able to drain properly.  Over time the whey starts refermenting and causes your cheese to become more and more acidic.  The fact that your cheese gets more crumbly over time is a good indication that it's over pressed.

When pressing, a good rule of thumb (from Gianaclis Caldwell) is to press just enough that whey beads up in the holes of the mold.  It should not run *at all*.  If it's running, then you need *no weight*.  Next, you should flip regularly.  Many recipes have you waiting and hour or more between flips.  I like 15 minutes, 15 minutes, 30 minutes, 30 minutes, 30 minutes.  That's 5 flips.  The rind should be closed (or nearly closed) after the last rest (2 hours in) and *not before*.

Normally I will press with the cloth for the first 90 minutes and the last 30 minutes without the cloth.  Then you want to do a "depress" which is just a light press (or no weight at all) in the mold to erase any cloth marks and stiples from the holes in the mold.  Flip every hour until you hit your acidity target.  You can press as hard as you want after the first 2 hours if the rind isn't closed yet, though.

There is a lot more that you can think about with this stuff (cheese making is *deep*), but that should give you a place to start.

Offline borisb2

• Medium Cheese
  • Cheeses: 0
  • Default personal text
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2023, 07:43:13 PM »
Thanks very much for these tips guys. I wasnt sure about the ventilation in the fridge but that doesnt seem to be an issue then.

Will try to get a hold of that book you mentioned.