Author Topic: My blue cheese always grows white mold  (Read 3161 times)

Offline Stinkycheeseman20

• Young Cheese
  • Cheeses: 0
  • Default personal text
My blue cheese always grows white mold
« on: April 29, 2023, 06:15:05 PM »
Whenever I make any sort of blue cheese, it always seems to grow white mold in addition to the blue mold. The cheese ends up being very soft and creamy on the inside, like a camembert. It is tasty, and not the worst problem to have, but I would like to be able to control the ripening process a little better and get some blue cheeses that aren’t so gooey.
At first I thought the problem was the cheeses I use to populate the cheese. Usually I just use flora Danica as the base culture and then crumble some store bought blue cheese in during draining. I have tried a few different blue cheeses to populate the blue mold, but the result is always the same.
My second thought was maybe some cross-contamination was happening, with some white mold bacteria from a batch of Camembert I made clinging to the draining basket or something, and that was passing along the white mold to the blue cheese. But at this point it has been a long time since I last made anything with white mold, and I have washed and sanitized my equipment many times, and the result is the same.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Offline B e n

• Medium Cheese
  • Cheeses: 3
  • Default personal text
Re: My blue cheese always grows white mold
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2023, 02:08:26 PM »
Brush or wash the rind maybe? I get white mold on most of my stuff, I just do my best to keep it from getting too thick. The blue is internal so should be fine to keep the surface clean.

• Young Cheese
  • Default personal text
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2023, 12:37:20 PM »
That makes sense! Thank you!

Offline Flound

• Young Cheese
  • He's back! My brain tried to off me. Failed!
    • Gooseberry Hollow YT channel
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2023, 07:31:48 PM »
I had a small fridge that I used as a cheese cave and I got PC on everything I put in there.

Thoroughly washed its insides but my conclusion after repeated attempts was the mold existed in the pump which I couldn’t clean as completely. Until it kicked the bucket, it became my adjunct mold fridge.

• Young Cheese
  • Default personal text
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2023, 10:46:54 PM »
Interesting. That sounds like my situation. I had never thought about the pump

Offline B e n

• Medium Cheese
  • Default personal text
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2023, 02:44:50 PM »
It could also be your temp and humidity are favoring PC. Try adjusting one or both. When I kept my Brie in too small of aging boxes I could not get PC to grow well, I think the humidity was too high.

Offline Lancer99

• Mature Cheese
  • Cheeses: 44
  • Default personal text
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2023, 02:43:24 AM »
It's highly unlikely that either PC (or P. roqueforti) would make your cheese softer.   IMO you'd be better off trying a recipe that results in a denser cheese.

Anything that grows on the outside, like PC, of a blue cheese won't much affect its flavor . . . it's inside that counts.

One suggestion: instead of adding crumbles, blenderize them up with the milk before molding.  Don't forget to skewer!

-L