Author Topic: Greetings from beautiful Victoria!  (Read 1610 times)

Offline Annaprl

• New Cheese
  • Cheeses: 0
  • Default personal text
Greetings from beautiful Victoria!
« on: September 03, 2023, 11:28:46 PM »
Hello Everyone!
I’m very excited to join these cheese forum! I’ve made my first cheese (Gouda) only 5 weeks ago and now anxiously waiting for it to mature. :) In the mean time, I’ve made a few queso fresco cheeses, and those were delicious! So I got really encouraged. I’m looking forward to learn more about home cheese making from more experienced cheese lovers. :) I also love baking bread and making wine. :)

Offline GerriAus

• New Cheese
  • Default personal text
Re: Greetings from beautiful Victoria!
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2023, 06:27:48 AM »
Hello Annaprl

I am as new as you to cheesemaking and also quite encouraged by my first cheddar efforts and very happy to have found the forum! 

Offline Bob

• New Cheese
  • Default personal text
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2023, 12:34:23 PM »
Another one from Perth here! I was a forum lurker several years back(maybe around 2018?), and am now dipping back into cheesemaking after a longish hiatus. I was making camemberts, cambozolas and baby Swiss back in the day, but will probably be focusing on the quicker and easier lactic cheeses for now.

Offline broombank

• Mature Cheese
  • Cheeses: 12
  • Default personal text
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2023, 09:55:50 PM »
I am rather struck by how much less activity there is on the Forum compared with a few years ago when I joined.  Why ? I know I come and go and so do other people but you would think it would even out. If the forum is to work it needs a critical mass of experienced members to answer questions. Where have they all gone ? With a few conspicuous exceptions whose contributions are always brilliant ( you know who you are !!)

Offline Aris

• Mature Cheese
  • Cheeses: 28
  • Default personal text
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2023, 02:48:40 AM »
I am rather struck by how much less activity there is on the Forum compared with a few years ago when I joined.  Why ? I know I come and go and so do other people but you would think it would even out. If the forum is to work it needs a critical mass of experienced members to answer questions. Where have they all gone ? With a few conspicuous exceptions whose contributions are always brilliant ( you know who you are !!)
I think most of them are in the biggest cheesemaking group in Facebook. There are many homesteaders and professional cheesemakers there. My friend Rachel is one of the admins. You should join their group, it is called Learn to make cheese.

Offline broombank

• Mature Cheese
  • Cheeses: 12
  • Default personal text
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2023, 12:37:19 PM »
thanks for the link Aris- I will look but the forum is still useful

Offline Aris

• Mature Cheese
  • Cheeses: 28
  • Default personal text
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2023, 12:46:32 PM »
thanks for the link Aris- I will look but the forum is still useful
This forum will always be useful for everyone into cheesemaking and everyone can view the forum, no membership needed. It is a repository of cheese knowledge and I will do my best to contribute. Even the knowledgeable folks and admins in learn to make cheese, go here to research. You should also check out reddit, me and Mike still post there. https://www.reddit.com/r/cheesemaking/

Offline eric1

• Medium Cheese
  • Default personal text
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2023, 12:37:59 PM »
I assumed my problems with the forum were an issue for a lot of other people.  I first joined and posted to the forum a long time ago, maybe something like 10 years ago, but I posted in spells, and I probably went a year or two or more without logging in at one point.  Then when I tried to log in again I couldn't, so I tried to rejoin but didn't immediately figure out what I needed to do to rejoin and gave up.  Then after several more months I got more motivated and with more careful searching finally found a e-mail address for an admin and got back on the forum.  If I remember correctly an admin told me there had been trouble with spammers or something like that that had necessitated some kind of clean-up of the membership list that was the reason my account had been deactivated.  How obvious and easy are the steps someone has to take to join/rejoin the forum?  Is that possibly part of the problem?