Author Topic: fridge plus inkbird and a humidifier  (Read 1267 times)

Offline DrChile

• Medium Cheese
  • Cheeses: 3
  • Default personal text
fridge plus inkbird and a humidifier
« on: September 26, 2023, 06:52:14 PM »
The bane of (most) home cheesemaker is humidity control - especially in a converted fridge to cheese cave set up.  I have a garage fridge with a Johnson temp control unit that does wonders keeping the temp in the sweet spot for cheeses, but as has been discussed here at length before, the humidity is an issue.  I've tried pans of water, salt solutions, and wet paper towels that are hanging off the door shelves - i can get to 75% RH with these methods but getting to 80-85%RH is very hard and nearly impossible to maintain. 
I've been bandaging (lard and cheesecloth) many of my cheeses as a layer of protection against extreme drops in RH (but also love the concept of bandaged cheeses) and have vac bagged some of my other cheeses - but I want to do a few natural rind cheeses (like a parm) in the future.

Enter ink bird.  Decided to buy the IHC-200 (non wi fi version) as well as a 1 gallon humidifier (https://www.target.com/p/crane-drop-ultrasonic-cool-mist-humidifier-1-gallon/-/A-15213805?preselect=11036853#lnk=sametab ).  Works brilliantly.  The gallon capacity is enough.  inkbird controller is easy to install and use.  For me, it has taken the worry about humidity out of the equation.  As we head into cool fall and cold winter months, my fridge won't be kicking on and running as much and i think the inkbird will have to kick on less... 

Downsides:  the 1 gallon capacity humidifier takes up a large amount of space in my fridge.  Willing to compromise that for now.  I wonder how long the humidifier will keep working in that environment. I will update about mold growth as well (so far so good).

Once I figure out how to attach a pic, i'll take a pic of my set up (not letting me post a pic currently).

Trent
"Decide what to be, and go be it" - Avett Brothers

Offline MacGruff

• Mature Cheese
  • Cheeses: 23
  • Default personal text
Re: fridge plus inkbird and a humidifier
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2023, 01:30:46 PM »
I've gone the Inkbird route myself and it works great.

For the humidifier, I bought a much smaller unit that fits in my fridge. It's called the Cool Mist Air Humidifier from a company called AquaOasis. I bought it off of Amazon for around $70.

Tank needs filling around every six days, which is not so bad. What I particularly like about it is that it has a regular on/off switch, so I do not need to fiddle with it and just let the Inkbird take care of turning it on or off.

Also, I had a unit fail on me after about four months. Since I registered the unit I had, the company stood behind it and sent me a replacement unit at no charge! I really liked that service and the new unit arrived within two days of me emailing the company with the problem.

Offline DrChile

• Medium Cheese
  • Default personal text
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2023, 08:12:44 PM »
Thanks!  I'll take a look at that model...
Trent

Offline MacGruff

• Mature Cheese
  • Cheeses: 23
  • Default personal text
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2023, 02:12:46 PM »
Since I posted yesterday, I happened to go shopping at Aldi. In the "Aldi Finds" aisle, (Also known as the "Aisle of Shame!"   >:D) I saw a very similar model humidifier for around $20. If you have an Aldi near you, it may be worth a visit.

Offline DrChile

• Medium Cheese
  • Default personal text
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2023, 03:59:18 PM »
ohhhh - nice!
Thanks!

Trent