Author Topic: Cloning a Camembert from the supermarket!  (Read 1031 times)

Offline michoutim

• Mature Cheese
  • Cheeses: 5
  • Default personal text
Cloning a Camembert from the supermarket!
« on: October 02, 2023, 01:26:22 AM »
Hello my friends,
 I tried for the first time to clone a Camembert. Been making cheeses for many years now, on the Sunshine Coast, a piece of paradise in beautiful Australia. My friends love me. Must be the cheeses! Hahahaha!
I followed Fred Fromager Urbain' s video about cloning a cheese!
So I brought the milk to 32oC, mixed my cheese (60g without the crust for 3L of full cream milk) into the milk. And waited 12 hours.
After which my curd was gelified but grainy and of course highly hydrated.
I brought the whole thing back to 32oC and added rennet as per my usual proportions.
FAILURE!
Abject failure! Still soup texture!
So I think my next clone will be produced by:
Mixing 32oC milk and shop cheese, filtering / sieving it, and added rennet straight away (like for the Saint-Marcellin.
I thank you all for your suggection.

Offline Aris

• Mature Cheese
  • Cheeses: 28
  • Default personal text
Re: Cloning a Camembert from the supermarket!
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2023, 04:29:46 AM »
That is unsafe and highly unpredictable because you don't know if there are viable good lactic acid bacteria in the cheese. There is a big chance spoilage bacteria and pathogens are the ones that are going to grow. You are better off using a commercial starter culture like Flora Danica/Floralac. When it comes to making blue cheese though. I prefer the blue mold from store bought blue cheese like Roquefort, Stilton and Danish blue so I inoculate the milk with one of those cheeses. I still use a commercial starter culture. Mikekchar has successfully made cheese using mother culture/yogurt made from milk inoculated with store bought cheese. Iirc he made a mother culture/yogurt first by inoculating a small amount of milk with supermarket camembert/brie. Then he used that as a starter to make a simple cheese.

Offline michoutim

• Mature Cheese
  • Cheeses: 5
  • Default personal text
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2023, 07:08:10 AM »
Thank you Aris!
Right now I know strictly ZILCH about cloning a cheese.  ;D
I am usually a law-abiding citizen, and I never tried to hack anyone! Or anything. ;)
Yes, I have a piece of Saint-AGUR BLUE in the fridge, and I'll try to clone it.
First attempt is a failure. Never mind, I'll get there.
My cheese was a French Crémeux d'Argental.
Do not tell the French, because they would decapitate me.
I know those guys because I am one of them! Hahahaha!
You know, like if you cut a round cheese sideways, they kill you! In France it is a death penalty offense.
JUst saying in case you intend to spend a holiday in Gaul...

Offline Aris

• Mature Cheese
  • Cheeses: 28
  • Default personal text
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2023, 02:08:28 PM »
You're welcome. Thanks for the laugh. Yeah, the French are very passionate about their cheese like the Italians. I saw a video about Brie de Meaux and it is faux pas when you cut the point or tip of a Brie wedge.
https://youtu.be/cGa4ZJF2Nr8?t=660

Good luck with the Saint Agur blue clone. Use a commercial starter culture to be sure.