Author Topic: Deep Fried Curd  (Read 7180 times)

milkmaid

Deep Fried Curd
« on: November 19, 2009, 09:21:34 PM »
I am new to the art of cheese making, but I have made squeaky cheese curd twice now, I used the recipe on the New England Cheese Making Supply Company website.
I hadn't heard of deep fried curd, but I have heard of deep fried cheese, so last week I was making my husband batter fried cod, I thought since I had a bit of batter left... well you guessed it! In went the curd and OMG it was delicious!
So today, I made my husband onion rings... in went the curd again!
I use the store bought clubhouse beer batter mix (with just water no beer) But this time with a little twist, after dipping in the batter I tossed the curd into some panko crumbs... They are to die for! The panko crumbs were also nice on the onion rings.
Needless to say I better go out for a walk, a long walk!

milkmaid

PS. I have never liked deep frying but have just recently started. I was watching a cooking show the other day, and that's why onion rings were on the menu today!

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 106
    • Deejays Smoke Pit and DSP Forums
Re: Deep Fried Curd
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2009, 06:58:11 AM »
Congrats on the fried curds. They are very good! I like just munching on fresh curds sometimes to. Chees is a wonderful thing!

thecallofktulu89

« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2010, 09:47:59 AM »
Deep Fried Cheese Curds

Original Recipe Yield  24 servings

Ingredients

* 1 cup all-purpose flour
    * 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
    * 1/2 teaspoon salt
    * 2 eggs, beaten
    * 1/2 cup milk
    * 1 pound cheese curds
    * 1 quart oil for frying

Directions

1. In a medium bowl, sift together the flour, baking powder, and salt. Stir in the eggs and milk. Mix until smooth. Add more milk for a thinner batter. Coat the cheese curds with the batter.
   2. Heat the oil in a large, heavy skillet over medium heat. Fry the coated cheese curds approximately 1 minute each, until golden brown. Drain on paper towels.

Footnotes

Editor's Note
      We have determined the nutritional value of oil for frying based on a retention value of 10% after cooking. The exact amount may vary depending on cook time and temperature, ingredient density, and the specific type of oil used.

Nutritional Information open nutritional information

Amount Per Serving  Calories: 137 | Total Fat: 10.5g | Cholesterol: 38mg

Limburger Fan

« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2010, 03:04:25 AM »
Deep fried cheese curds are such a common menu item in Wisconsin that it never occurred to me that they might be a novelty elsewhere.

We make them at home fairly often and I've discovered that some cheeses tend to liquefy before the breading or batter is fully cooked. If this happens, freeze the curd first, then bread it and immediately fry it. This works much better than using fridge temp curds.

wi_farmgirl

« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2010, 06:25:50 PM »
My family has been crying for deep fryed cheese curds, and I just have not tried it yet.   Now with a recipe I am going to have to fry some up.   We are from Wis, and love cheese curds.

MrsKK

« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2010, 10:59:52 PM »
My son grew up here in Wisconsin and grouses now that he is in the Air Force because he can't get fresh cheese curds, much less deep fried ones, anywhere else.

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2010, 02:52:54 AM »
Wisconsin has the BEST cheese curds! I kike a bit of basil on my fried cheese curds.

If you want a sort of spicey mix add a little bit of spice from packet of Italian dressing to your crumbs then dip them in a nice spaghetti sauce while they are still hot yumy.

Limburger Fan

« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2010, 03:12:13 AM »
In addition to breading, wonton or eggroll wrappers can be used. These work very well with string cheese for deep frying and then dipping in a marinara sauce.

I don't remember who the comedian was, but he made reference to Wisconsin's love affair with fried curds by observing, "Ah, Wisconsin. Where you deep fry your fat." I'd never really thought about it quite like that.

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2010, 05:40:50 AM »
Try using potatoe flakes sometime. You know the instant potatoes? Makes nice panko like crumbs with a nice potato flavor.

ConnieG

« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2010, 01:59:51 PM »
you guys are killing me!  I'm going to have to try this.  My kids will love it.   Deep fried fat -Ha!

susanky

« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2010, 02:51:10 PM »
So cheese curds from which cheese recipe?  Any?  The easiert?  I've never had them but this sounds yummy.
Susan

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2010, 06:33:40 AM »
Traditionally they are cheddar cheese curds but I have seen places sell fried curds that were  mozzarella or jack cheese.