Author Topic: Ulraviolet UV light sterilization of fresh lactic cheese  (Read 2782 times)

RobJP

Ulraviolet UV light sterilization of fresh lactic cheese
« on: December 03, 2009, 08:06:53 AM »
This could be controversial.
At least I hope so..

I'm making small lactic cheeses every day and occasionally have problems with wild moulds developing on the surface of the cheeses.

The interesting thing is that 1 day's batch of cheeses can develop a bloom of mould while the day before and after (which are in the same ripening area) will be close to perfectly clean.

I make up a starter culture (sterlize the milk in a "canning" jar, add freezedried starter culture) and use the yoghurt-like culture for 3 or 4 days before making a new batch.
My first guess is that the "clean" batches are packed with started bacteria and don't provide the wild strains any opportunity to set up, while the "mouldy" batches are from the 3 or 4 day old starter.

We've just finished cheesemaking for the year (we don't milk over winter) so I can't test my theory until next year, but I'm wondering if using a UV fluorescent lamp while the cheeses are drying (for 2 days after demoulding, on stainless steel racks, turned 4 times) to prevent wild moulds from getting a start on the surface of the cheeses.
(Don't worry, I promise to keep my rennet and starter cultures safe from the UV light)

If any of you good people have any experience/opinions on the subject I'd love to hear about them.

FRANCOIS

Re: Ulraviolet UV light sterilization of fresh lactic cheese
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2009, 09:33:37 PM »
Mother culture needs to be made fresh everyday, other wise you will get quality issues.  As far as lactic cheese and mold, it's sort of the point of making this cheese.  If you don't want mold on the rind you should just use a rapid acidifying culture and drain in high heat for a short time.  Then transfer the cheese to a sealed container.  Having the cheese out for 3-4 days air drying is asking for trouble.  You could just add natamycin to the surface, that's how it would be achieved in a comemrcial setting, then vacuum seal.

FRANCOIS

« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2009, 01:49:06 AM »
But I come back to the point: why would you want to make a lactic cheese that is essentially ripened but with out exterior mold.  Otherwise make a low pH fresh cheese. 

If it were me, and I was trying to achieve this, I would use a rapid acidifier and drain at high temp for a short period then vacuum seal the cheese.

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 106
    • Deejays Smoke Pit and DSP Forums
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2009, 04:19:23 PM »
I was reading something the other day I think on the pipeline that floresent light makes some cheeses turn pink. Not sure if this is anywhere near the ultraviolet issue but I will try to find it again.