Author Topic: Queso Fresca - Cancun, Yucatan, Mexico  (Read 3349 times)

Cheese Head

Queso Fresca - Cancun, Yucatan, Mexico
« on: January 10, 2010, 04:44:58 PM »
My family and I were on holiday in Yucatan Mexico over Christmas & New Years, saw no cows and no goats and thus local Mayan people eat very little dairy foods or cheese.

But did find some cheeses in Cancun large grocery of Mexican Queso Fresca.

13 Mexico Peso's = 1 USD.

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 106
    • Deejays Smoke Pit and DSP Forums
Re: Queso Fresca - Cancun, Yucatan, Mexico
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2010, 04:23:32 AM »
That looks like parm esan too. Just more color.

Cheese Head

« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2010, 11:45:25 AM »
Debi, Queso Fresco is normally a soft brick type cheese, I was surprised to see it being sold in ground format.

iratherfly

« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2010, 05:59:39 PM »
This entire region of the Yucatan is a very new development (if you discount the 2000 years of Mayan civilization that has disappeared and had a corn-based diet). Cancun is less than 40 years old and was built for tourism; it seems that nearly all the food is flown and trucked in. There is hardly local production or agriculture.

Queso Fresca though is used everywhere and a staple of Mexican and Caribbean cuisines. It has the saltiness and firmness reminiscent of Parmigiana but has the unique property of not getting melted in heat. It is therefore used on many hot foods such as Tacos.

My favorite use for it is with Chili-Lime Corn; it is simple, takes no more than 7 minutes from start to finish and absolutely delicious! Guests often ask for it when we plan dinner parties but those who dared making it were surprised by how simple it is to make:
Fry corn on very high heat until it is slightly browned. Add salt and pepper (easy on the salt, the Quesa Fresca will be added later, it is as salty as Parmigiana). Add chili powder and/or cayenne pepper to taste for the last 1-2 minutes of cooking (will give it a nice red colored freckles!). Just before taking off the heat squeeze some lime juice to it and add a handful of that grated/milled Quesa Fresca - just like the one in John's photo above. Simple, honest goodness! There is no right or wrong way of making this, just make it to taste.

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 106
    • Deejays Smoke Pit and DSP Forums
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2010, 10:30:13 PM »
That sounds pretty good!  Thanks!