Author Topic: Ricotta sweet roll filling  (Read 5487 times)

MrsKK

Ricotta sweet roll filling
« on: February 26, 2010, 01:59:20 PM »
I've tried duplicating cheese danish filling with little success until this morning.

Ingredients:
1 cup ricotta
1/4 cup sugar
1/2 teaspoon real vanilla extract

Beat together and use it to fill sweet rolls.

The "filling the sweet roll" part has me stumbling a bit yet.  I've tried rolling dough out thin and cutting it into squares, bringing the corners up and pinching them together, but they always seem to fall apart.  Today, I just made pinwheel rolls (rolled the dough into a rectangle, spread it with butter and rolled it up, then cut into one inch sections) and put the cheese fillling on top.

It tastes wonderful, but it falls right off of the roll.

Any ideas, anyone?  TIA!

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 106
    • Deejays Smoke Pit and DSP Forums
Re: Ricotta sweet roll filling
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2010, 06:48:33 PM »
Try whipping in some cream or milk to thin it enough to be creamy/sticky. Not a lot just enough to lighten it up, 2 or 3 tablespoons max.

MrsKK

« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2010, 07:30:36 PM »
It was creamy/sticky, though.  The problem is that it just falls off the top of the rolls after they are baked (I baked them with the cheese on them).

Maybe no one here has had cheese danish?  It may be a Wisconsin oddity - but one the entire world should know.

I have thought that I will try rolling dough out to about 1/2 inch thick then cut into squares.  Allow it to raise on a cookie sheet, then cut a slit in the top to fill with the cheese filling.

Later on this week, I guess.

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2010, 02:01:38 AM »
I don't think I ever heard of a danish that wasn't cheese until about 10 years ago. Then they started selling raspberry cheese danish and that was awsome!

MrsKK

« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2010, 03:48:09 AM »
I grew up with my mom working in a Danish bakery - the owner was actually from Denmark and came to the States at age 16 after he'd finished his apprenticeship.  The only Danish they sold were filled with fruit filling.

I had to come to a Wisconsin McDonald's in my mid-teens to finally meet cheese Danish!

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2010, 03:53:42 AM »
No kidding!  ;D Well if they'd have it anywhere it'd be Wisconsin!

thecallofktulu89

« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2010, 09:43:02 AM »
Sweet Ricotta Pie

Ingredients:

Rice (for filling):

½ cup short-grain rice

1 cup milk

1 tablespoon unsalted butter

Pastry:

3 cups all-purpose flour

½ cup granulated sugar

1½ teaspoons baking powder

½ teaspoon salt

½ cup butter, chilled, cut into small pieces

¼ cup shortening

2 large eggs

1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract

2 to 3 tablespoons cold milk

Filling:

5 large eggs, divided

1½ pounds whole-milk ricotta (about 2¾ cups)

¾ cup granulated sugar

2 tablespoons grated orange zest (about 1 orange)

½ teaspoon ground cinnamon

1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract

½ cup golden raisins

2 tablespoons candied citron, finely chopped

Tip:  Use a citrus zester for fresh zest. Use standard measuring cups and spoons or scales for accurate measuring.

Directions:

Rice:

1. In a small saucepan over medium heat, combine rice, milk, and butter. Bring to a boil, stirring occasionally. Turn heat down to low and cover with a lid; cook about 15 minutes or until the milk is absorbed and rice is tender. Set aside to cool.

Pastry:
   2. In a large mixing bowl, combine flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt. With a pastry blender or two knives, cut butter and shortening into the flour mixture until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs.

3. In a small bowl, combine eggs and vanilla; beat with a wire whisk or fork until frothy. Add egg mixture to the flour mixture, mixing until all the flour is moistened and forms a ball. If the dough seems too crumbly, add 1 to 2 tablespoons milk.

4. Divide the dough into two portions, one slightly larger than the other; gently pat each half into a disc. Wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate 1 to 2 hours.

5. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.

6. Remove the larger portion of dough from the refrigerator and, on a lightly floured pastry mat or pastry board, and using a lightly floured rolling pin, roll the dough out to a thickness of 1/8-inch. Fit the dough into the bottom and up the sides of a 9 inch springform pan. Trim the edges so that about an inch hangs over the sides of the pan. Refrigerate while preparing filling.

Tip: Don’t stretch the pastry when placing in the pan, otherwise when baking the heat will cause the pastry to shrink down in the pan. Instead, gently push and pat the pastry in the pan. This pastry is slightly soft. I find it easiest to roll out on a large piece of plastic wrap, then pick up the plastic and rolled pastry together and gently flip over into the pan.

Filling:

7. In a large bowl, add eggs, use a fork or wire whisk to thoroughly break up the egg; reserve about 1 tablespoon of beaten egg to brush over top of pastry. Add ricotta and sugar to remaining egg; whisk together to mix. Add orange zest, cinnamon, vanilla, raisins, citron, and cooled rice. Stir until well blended. Pour filling into the pastry lined pan; set aside.

8. Roll out remaining piece of dough, 1/8-inch-thick. Cut into 3/4-inch lattice strips. Weave the lattice strips over the filling. Fold down the overhanging pastry, and crimp edge as desired. Using a pastry brush, lightly brush the pastry with reserved egg.

Bake:
   9. Slide filled springform pan onto a baking sheet, place in oven. Bake 1 hour or until the center is almost set but still slightly wobbly. Remove from oven; leave pie in pan until cooled and filling is set.

10. When pie is cooled, slide a small knife around the edge of the pie to loosen it and remove the sides of the springform pan, and transfer pie onto a serving plate. Serve while still warm or refrigerate until ready to serve.