Author Topic: Review: American Neufchatel, Manufactured, Kroger Brand  (Read 5352 times)

Cheese Head

Review: American Neufchatel, Manufactured, Kroger Brand
« on: March 18, 2010, 02:39:21 PM »
There are several discussions about American Neufchatel (low calorie cream cheese) yet I suspected that several members don't know exactly what we are talking about.

Thus I bought a standard block for USD1.29 and took pictures. The fork standing up on angle is to give an idea that although the cheese is a little moist (& thus the closable plastic lined foil bag), it is also very viscous-stiff as the fork would not fall over. Taste is like cream cheese, just not quite as creamy as made normally from cow's milk.

Majoofi

Re: Review: American Neufchatel, Manufactured, Kroger Brand
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2010, 02:58:25 PM »
I've seen that stuff in the picture, but I always thought that the stores used the name Neufchatel for added pizazz and that the real stuff was something all together different just as supermarket Munster is very different from real washed rind Munster.

Cheese Head

Re: Review: American Neufchatel, Manufactured, Kroger Brand
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2010, 03:11:05 PM »
Majoofi, good point, the name Neufchatel sounds better than "Light Cream Cheese" but it does create confusion.

I've no idea why the name Neufchatel was chosen when that is the name of a french lactic acid coagulated cheese but which has a P candidum white mold rind like Camembert & Brie and is often heart shaped. Maybe it's a screwup of history like Indians in India and Red Indians in North America.

Excuse teeth marks in toast picture above ::).