Author Topic: Sour Cream attempt #1  (Read 1714 times)

Gulf Coast

Sour Cream attempt #1
« on: April 22, 2010, 03:54:15 AM »
Hi all!

I was able to find half and half cows cream (Kroeger,s brand) convience store/ gas station.
At 11AM, I warmed the cream to the correct temperature and added the culture from New England Cheese Making. I covered the bowl with a cloth kitchen towel. The kitchen was within the recommended temperature. At 11PM, I checked the progress. I could not detect that anything had happened. I rechecked the ambient temperature. I thought perhaps the cream was mislabeled or the culture was bad. The next time I checked it 21 hours had elapsed. Yey! It was sour cream with great flavor but a wee bit thin. I will add some powdered milk the next time as a thickener.

MrsKK

Re: Sour Cream attempt #1
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2010, 12:21:50 PM »
The "thin-ness" may be because it was half and half, rather than whole cream, but I think the powdered milk will help that out.

I'm planning on buying sour cream culture for when my cow freshens again, as I was never able to come up with anything just right in flavor and texture by using other cultures.

Gulf Coast

« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2010, 03:33:54 AM »
The "thin-ness" may be because it was half and half, rather than whole cream, but I think the powdered milk will help that out.

I'm planning on buying sour cream culture for when my cow freshens again, as I was never able to come up with anything just right in flavor and texture by using other cultures.

Hi Mrs KK!

Thank you for your response.

In my haste, I neglected to include that the Kroeger's Half and Half was the only cream product that I could find that was not UP.

I appreciate your help. I have learned a lot from your posts.

MrsKK

« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2010, 12:36:49 PM »
You're very welcome!

I have to admit that I really admire those of you who have to buy milk in a store to make your cheese.  I never would have gone into this venture if that were my case.  As it is, I had to find a way to use up all the milk that my cow produces.