Author Topic: Chevre Pics-Purple Haze & Humbolt Fog  (Read 3359 times)

Brie

Chevre Pics-Purple Haze & Humbolt Fog
« on: July 09, 2010, 06:01:10 AM »
Here's a pic from my second cheese tasting in FLA-purple haze (Cypress Grove) replica along with Humbolt Fog. I took some creative liberty in the formation of the Purple Haze.

Cheese Head

Re: Chevre Pics-Purple Haze & Humbolt Fog
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2010, 11:23:32 AM »
Did you make those or bought, look great, I love Humboldt Fog.

Brie

« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2010, 05:51:07 PM »
Thanks, John--I made all of them!

Gina

« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2010, 08:55:32 PM »
That's a nice, rustic cheese board.

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 106
    • Deejays Smoke Pit and DSP Forums
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2010, 09:03:59 PM »
Very nice looking cheeses Brie. I was wondering about the lavender. I think the local heath food store might sell it. How much you you use? I have never tried it for eatting just soap is there an eddible one and a soap one?

Brie

« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2010, 12:16:22 AM »
I always buy the lavendar in the food section of specialty markets--think I would be a bit leary about purchasing in the bath section--potpourri cheese? I then grind it down a bit in the coffee grinder. This cheese was very different and had a great taste.

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2010, 03:56:14 AM »
I will have to ask if it's eddible or just for soap.

mtn_prof

« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2010, 01:19:40 PM »
Very nice looking cheeses Brie. I was wondering about the lavender. I think the local heath food store might sell it. How much you you use? I have never tried it for eatting just soap is there an eddible one and a soap one?

I haven't used lavender for cheese, but I have for making cookies. We got it from a spice company, the spice house (thespicehouse.com) and were pleased. I imagine that if there is a spice or herb company near you, they would have it too. It didn't taste "soapy" at all, so maybe it is processed differently than the stuff for soaps?

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2010, 02:37:52 AM »
I don't think there's any soap in the lavender it's just sold in a health food store and they said it was great for making soap. Neer knew you could eat it.

Brie

« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2010, 03:20:57 AM »
Still, Deb, be careful about using it in cheese--I'm sure there is some sort of preservative for the soaps and potpourri. I bought it froma local gourmet store--shall I send you some? There is no online source for this particular grocer; however did you try to google?

mtn_prof

« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2010, 01:49:29 PM »
Still, Deb, be careful about using it in cheese--I'm sure there is some sort of preservative for the soaps and potpourri. I bought it froma local gourmet store--shall I send you some? There is no online source for this particular grocer; however did you try to google?

Agreed. The lavender we've bought has always been labeled "food-grade," so I would be be careful about using something sold for soap. Here's the link to what we got: http://www.thespicehouse.com/spices/dried-lavender-flower-buds-food-grade

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2010, 04:15:19 AM »
I believe the place I got the fennel polen sold lavender something or other. I will check with them. Just curious about the taste of lavender sounds nice. Lavender is such a relaxing smell.