Author Topic: Hello from the Midwest! :)  (Read 949 times)

GotGoats

Hello from the Midwest! :)
« on: September 27, 2010, 12:21:44 PM »
As my user name suggests, we have goats. :) At the moment we have two  Alpines and a Nubian, but in the spring we'll have six.  I started milking goats when I was 8.5yo, cows when I was 12yo, and only stopped when my parents sold everything off when I was twenty. Eight years later, I'm back on the farm with my husband and young family doing what I love - raising a lot of my own food!

Cheese making is something I've read a lot about, but have written off for years as too complicated. Well, complicated or not, here I come!  ;D

I've been keeping up with my family's mozzarella needs (citric acid method) for a couple months now, buttermilk and such, but I really want to venture into hard cheeses.

So here I am. Thanks for having me! :)

mtncheesemaker

Re: Hello from the Midwest! :)
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2010, 12:55:07 PM »
Hi and welcome.
The worst thing about cheese making is not that it's complicated, it's that it can be habit-forming!
You'll find good info and support here.
Pam

GotGoats

« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2010, 01:03:30 PM »
Thanks, Pam. I'm hoping it's more intimidating "in theory" than actual practice, sort of like soap making. The #1 warning about soap making is that it is addicting. It would be lovely to find cheese is the same way. But edible! (What a bonus!)

I think I'm going to wander over and post on the cave forum, as I think that's my next step. :)

Glad to be here! :)

Cheese Head

« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2010, 11:38:19 PM »
Howdy welcome GotGoats, you hav the milk and now the (microbial)bug, combination makes cheese!