Author Topic: Hello all. New from the Northwest  (Read 1472 times)

ashummel

Hello all. New from the Northwest
« on: October 08, 2010, 04:09:03 AM »
I came across this forum and found a bunch of innovative and fresh ideas. I'm all for stretching a buck and doing from scratch. I'm looking forward to tossing around some great thoughts.

linuxboy

Re: Hello all. New from the Northwest
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2010, 05:46:03 AM »
Hi and welcome :). We have quite a few people from WA here.

FarmerJd

« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2010, 01:48:39 PM »
Welcome to the forum.

Cheese Head

« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2010, 03:09:03 PM »
ashummel, welcome.

From your flag it looks like you are in NW US, I love Washington & Oregon.

Sadly I have much doubt you will save much money by making your own cheese but it is a nice rewarding hobby!

ConnieG

« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2010, 03:11:01 PM »
Hello and welcome!

I hear you on stretching a buck- it obviously can be done..... but I seem to be spending quite a few bucks on specialty cultures and tools.   ::)

ashummel

« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2010, 04:38:22 PM »
Thank to all that replied.
John- I know it can be spendy, but surprisingly enough I don't have much invested into what I have started already. I regret not making a starter to begin with, but my issue with my cheesemaking experience is after work I get the cheesemaking itch and 6 hours later it 2 in the morning. Makes for rough days.

ConnieG

« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2010, 05:39:52 PM »
That's exactly what I do!!

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 106
    • Deejays Smoke Pit and DSP Forums
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2010, 03:00:00 AM »
Welcome ashummel
If you have access to inexpensive milk or cows/gaots/sheep of your own tis could save you money or even if you use store bought milk and make your own cultures it could save you money but chance are it will not or you might break even. In any eveny it is a fun hobby and you'll have plenty of help and frineds here with a common addiction.

ENjoy!

ashummel

« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2010, 03:52:09 AM »
Deejaydebbie-
Knowing that there are people with the same addiction and passion for something so tempermental is what really intrigues me. People are so willing to share tricks and wisdom, and typically in our gastronomic world there are the "secret ingredients" and "family recipes" that aren't shared. This is a different realm in the food industry.

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 106
    • Deejays Smoke Pit and DSP Forums
« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2010, 05:03:38 AM »
True! There are a lot of people that don't like to share their techniques for making things. I always thought that was weird myself. Someone could show you a way to improve on your recipe or something so why not share? Also why make everyone go trough the same agony you went through to find info when you can help?