Author Topic: Hi from New Zealand  (Read 1662 times)

andik

Hi from New Zealand
« on: November 01, 2010, 08:41:45 AM »
Hi everyone, this is my first post, so hopefully will get it right!
I'm Andi and I live with my husband, 2 daughters (6 & 1), 3 dogs, 3 cats (+4 kittens as of last night), 1 bunny and many chickens, in Southbridge, which is around 40minutes south of Christchurch.  I also part-own 2 British Alpine goats, which I have discovered I absolutely love. I was brought up on a farm but have been away for many years, and have realised how much I have missed decent sized animals. We are currently milking 1 of the girls, getting around 3 litres a day. My friend is a bit further ahead on the cheese making journey, but I'm really new. I've made some ricotta and paneer successfully so far. Have also tried feta and a 30minute mozzarella of Ricki Carrolls, but they're not so good yet! I love milking and using the goats milk and am passionate about getting away from the commercial dairy industry, even though I am surrounded by it in this little rural village. I really want to get better at cheesemaking, and I'm hoping to get hints and help through this forum. I get really frustrated when things don't turn out "right" at the moment, so hearing other people's struggles might also help!
Looking forward to it,
Andi

Cheese Head

Re: Hi from New Zealand
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2010, 10:31:41 AM »
Welcome, I've never been a farmer and am envious, books are where we all start but quickly realize that there is way more to it than a simple recipe, have fun!

zenith1

« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2010, 05:35:07 PM »
Weclcome to the forum Andi- sounds like you already have rolled your sleeves up, so all that's left is to....make some cheese!

ancksunamun

« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2010, 09:11:59 PM »
Welcome Andi, from a fellow Cantabrian.

There is a HOARDE of knowledge to be gleaned from the wonderful people here to get ready to learn a LOT! And practice with cheese making definitely goes a long way. As John says, the recipes make it all look very simple but there are so many variables which can affect your results.

It can be frustrating but don't let it put you off. Learn from what happened and keep going. That perfect batch will make it all worth it. Believe me, I've had my share of frustrations as a relatively new cheese maker but then got something right and it really is the best reward for your patience.

Good luck!!

Tea

« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2010, 04:16:19 AM »
Afternoon Andi and welcome to the forum.

andik

« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2010, 09:11:44 AM »
Thanks for the welcoming messages. Nice to hear from someone in NZ too! I know I'm probably a little too hooked up on books at the moment, but that's kind of the only start point I have at the moment. Most of the recipes I see seem to be for cow's milk - are there any particularly good resources that focus on the ins and outs of using goats milk?
Thanks
Andi

zenith1

« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2010, 02:21:02 PM »
Hi Andi- lots of information on goats milk cheese making here. Try searching the forum for the topic that concerns you and I think you will pretty much have a good days worth of reading. If anything is missing just post your specific question with regards to goats milk cheese and I know that the answer is lurking around here. There are several members that raise goats and make cheese.