Author Topic: Curd Cutting - Technique  (Read 3342 times)

dalyn

Curd Cutting - Technique
« on: November 16, 2010, 09:37:54 PM »
Hello all... question about how to cut curds.
I have seen on YouTube somebody cutting curds like so: Cuts curds to desired width to create the small squares, then takes a slotted spoon and goes in and cuts them up into 1/2" curds by softly ladling in layers down down down till the entire curd has now been cut up into small pieces. In the recipe I'm using it just says "cut the curds then stir for 30 minutes so curds don't matt". should I do the process i saw online? otherwise i'm left with these long columns of curd. Any advice would help! *dalyn  :)

« Last Edit: November 16, 2010, 10:12:03 PM by dalyn »

dalyn

Re: Curd Cutting - Technique
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2010, 09:48:14 PM »
One more quick question. Most recipes call for letting the curds sit for at least 5 minutes after the initial 'cutting' and THEN begin to stir. this recipe doesn't. it says to just start stirring. Using 'Making Artisan Cheese' book - recipe Edam. i feel like i should let them set up a few minutes. What do you think? *d

zenith1

« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2010, 01:16:43 AM »
Hey Dalyn-sounds like your off to a good start. You want to cut the curd both horizontally and vertically so you end up with a curd size that is used in that particular cheese type. However you accomplish this is acceptable whether you use a curd cutter , curd knife, spoon. You should strive for a consistant size throughout the curd mass. As for the resting or "healing" phase, yes you should usually add this to the process to allow the curds to firm up a little bit before you start the next phase, the scalding of the curd. You will find the healing time is usually 5-15 minutes and varies by cheese type and your experience. Definitely add this step to your process.

Keith

KosherBaker

« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2010, 05:11:44 AM »
To cut the curd vertically I usually go in with my Cheese Knife perpendicular to the cheese vat bottom. Then turn the vat 90 degrees and do the same. To get the horizontal cut I angle my cheese knife at a 45 degree angle to the bottom of the cheese vat and try to cut as evenly as I can, and again turn the vat 90 degrees and do another horizontal cut.

I'd be lying if I said my curd comes out perfectly even every time, :) but this is how I understood the technique to be. There may be better ways yet to do this so let's see what others may have to say.

Sailor Con Queso

« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2010, 09:47:30 PM »
When you first cut the curds, the edges are fragile, so you always want to let them sit for at least a few minutes before stirring. It's called "healing".

FRANCOIS

« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2010, 10:48:04 AM »
Kosher has it right.  After heal and a few minutes of stirring (the curd will be firmer then) you can actually break up any long pieces left by hand.

dalyn

« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2010, 09:12:59 PM »
Awesome. thanks everyone. that is basically what I have been doing. i also found this link helpful with the pictures. http://www.cheesemaking.com/store/pg/208-Havarti.html
Now that i'm using 2 gallons of milk the whisk is helpful after I have cut, let it rest, then gone in with the slotted spoon, then the whisk to get any big chunks that need to be made smaller. *dalyn