Author Topic: more unexpected events with fresh cheese!  (Read 1387 times)

radicalcultures

more unexpected events with fresh cheese!
« on: November 19, 2010, 10:34:10 PM »
Hey everyone, I tried making another round of fresh cow's milk cheese (neufchatel, I'm told is what it'd be called) yesterday and have more mishaps that will prove to be interesting experiments.

So I pasteurized the milk (about 4 gallons) in a home pasteurizer and left it sit for a couple hours thinking it would cool down, but it was still at about 140 F when I was hoping to add culture and rennet (about 9:15 PM). I was pressed for time and ran a bunch of cool water through the vat. I got it down to about 95 F and then added 1/3 cup of whey that had been refrigerated for about 9 days and had 1/2 teaspoon of animal rennet and 1/2 teaspoon of CaCl2 mixed in. Then I mixed it thoroughly and left it until this afternoon. I checked it at about 10 AM and it had coagulated quite well, but the pH was still 6.4! The starter I added had not acidified the curd at all. So at this point I winged it and cut the curd, threw in about another 1/2 cup of whey and let it stand some more. I have been watching the pH drop slowly this afternoon. Right now (5:30 PM) it is at 5.88. I am only gonna wait a couple more hours and then wherever it is I am gonna drain it. I'm running a bit of warm water through the vat to maybe speed up the process a little.

Should be interesting! I'm a little concerned that after it cooled from pasteurizing and being at a high pH for such a long time, there might be risk of pathogens establishing themselves. Also not sure how the texture or flavor will turn out. Unless a lot of acidification happens quickly, I feel like it will be mild.

Anyone have thoughts??

tnsven

Re: more unexpected events with fresh cheese!
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2010, 12:07:31 AM »
My best advice is to relax! I've never used a pH meter. And I could be called a rather lazy cheese maker. If your equipment is clean, I would not worry about pathogens taking over.

You might want to start with a smaller amount of milk next time. That way, if you mess it up, you aren't out all the milk.

Kristin

KosherBaker

Re: more unexpected events with fresh cheese!
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2010, 05:53:50 AM »
So RC.

How did it turn out?