Author Topic: Old recipe not working now  (Read 997 times)

annieduck

Old recipe not working now
« on: November 27, 2010, 04:14:23 AM »
Hi, I just joined. I am having trouble with my cheese-making and have decided to humble myself (just a little) and see if I can get some help.
 I have been using a recipe that was given to me over 30 years ago by a cattle rancher's wife in Colorado. I have made this cheese many times and though it turned out slightly different every time it, at least, turned out. It's just a very simple somewhat jack-style cheese that doesn't require aging.

I have been stubbornly sticking with raw milk and letting it clabber naturally the way I always did it before. I confess that I never made note of temperature or timing but always just went by eye and feel.

So, here I am in damp, wet Oregon and NOT in dry Colorado. Would that have anything to do with my failures? My "failures" are crumbly masses of partially melted cheese curds with firmer, white curds running throughout giving a very un-smooth texture and a cheese that wants to fall apart rather than be sliced.

Also, no matter how much I press and drain the curds and no matter how dry they look and feel, I still get some separation during the final heating on top of the double boiler. that never happened before. Before, it always just came together in a nicely melted mass that I could then cool in a form and slice. Sometimes it came out creamy and almost spreadable but not often. It usually came out just a soft, creamy, cheezy tasting cheese. But now I get this unruly spotty, lumpy mass that never seems to melt, sometimes with a buttery-flavored "whey" coming out the bottom.

The "recipe" is just notes I took in the kitchen of the woman who showed me how to make it. I will paste it here so you can see what I've been trying to do. I admit to not knowing any of the science of this sport. I do not know what the baking soda does or even if it is important. The "sour cream" I've always used is just the naturally soured cream off the top of the milk. The butter is the only butter I have at the moment which is an organic, store-bought butter. Way back in Colorado I had lots of extra cream and could use my own homemade sweet butter. My rancher wife friend had Jersey cows which produced abundant cream. The milk I get now is very tasty but doesn't have as much cream on top.

So, here's my old recipe:

Place 1½ gal. of thick clabber (raw milk that’s been left out to sour) on the stove where it should become very hot.  Stir the clabber frequently to separate the curd from the whey and continue cooking and stirring for ½ hour when the curd will become very tough.  Drain off the whey and press the curd under a heavy weight until the whey is all pressed out and the curd is very dry. (You can drain in a cloth until cool and then squeeze)  Failure in this means poor finished product.
   Next, place the dry curd with 4 tbsp. of fresh sweet butter (old butter will spoil the flavor) and ¾ tsp. soda.  Chop until curd is quite fine and the ingredients are thoroughly mixed.  Press the mixture down in the bowl then allow it to stand in a warm place for 2½ hours.
   Now, put the cheese in a double boiler with 2/3 cup of very thick, rich, naturally soured cream*, (sweet will spoil the cheese) and 1¼ tsp. salt.
   As it begins to heat, stir until all the ingredients melt into a mass which looks like melted cheese, which is exactly what it is, then pour it into a well buttered bowl and set it away to cool.  It is ready to eat as soon as it is cool.

If anyone can help me make needed changes and/or get focused on important details that are missing, I will be eternally grateful and might even go on to make other, more complex cheeses. I seem to have a cheese-making bug! I do want very much to continue working with raw, naturally clabbered milk; it's an idea that just won't leave my head. I seems...beautiful; you know, nature just doing it's thing and giving us such treasures!

MrsKK

Re: Old recipe not working now
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2010, 03:00:05 PM »
Your recipe sounds much like the "Velveeta" recipe I was given.  I tried it a couple of times the first year I was milking, but got results much like you have been getting since you've moved to Oregon.  At that time, I was clabbering individual pots of milk, rather than using clabber to culture the next batch.  I haven't tried the recipe since I started making clabber by culturing it from a previous batch, but plan on trying it again this year.

This thread is one I started on making good clabber.  If you've already been making clabber using that technique, I'm not sure what might be going on.

I do know that different environments and different cows eating different feeds can make big differences in cheese.

Welcome to the forum!

annieduck

« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2010, 06:50:12 PM »
I haven't used the method you write about--using pre-clabbered milk to clabber a new batch. I will try that. I also have been leaving the lids on the milk jars while they sit out to clabber. Are you saying I shouldn't do that; that I should just cover them with cloth?

So I use 1/4 cup of a cup of clabbered milk for 2 cups of fresh milk? Is that a mix of the curds and whey from the original cup? or does the ratio of curds and whey matter? Also, would it work to use 1/2 a cup of clabbered milk for a quart of fresh? I fear it will take so long for each generation of inoculated milk to clabber here in cold Oregon that it could be weeks before I actually have enough clabber to make a chunk of cheese!

I also would like to know if I should use a thermometer to judge when the curds are right for draining. It's possible that I am letting it get too hot?? Maybe not hot enough??

I have read off another website about not cooking the curds at all but just letting the clabbered milk drain. I'm not sure what that is about; have you heard of that? Another website says to just barely heat the curds and whey so the curd doesn't get tough. My curds do seem to get quite tough. But as you see, my old recipe says to cook for 30 minutes to make them that way.

I am so confused and frustrated. I am making another batch today. this time I'm going to use store-bought sour cream instead of the naturally soured cream just to see if it makes a difference. I will use half as much butter as is called for as well...or maybe no butter at all...hmmm

My dogs are sure getting a lot of my failures these days; they're happy!

I appreciate your reply and am looking forward to any other comments you have

annieduck

« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2010, 08:59:08 PM »
Well, I finally got around to reading the Family Cow thread (thank you for pointing me in that direction) and it says a lot. So now I'm going to treat my milk like sourdough. I'm still confused about how to get the wonderful mature clabber from that state to the cheese state==as in how do I get enough clabber to make a reasonable chunk of cheese? I will keep looking around the Family Cow site and see if I can get more answers. Thanks a lot for your help!

MrsKK

« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2010, 04:01:34 AM »
"...how do I get enough clabber to make a reasonable chunk of cheese..." 
Once you have good tasting clabber, you then make a large batch.  The small batches are only made for the earlier "generations" until it has a good mature flavor.

Or you could cheat and use store-bought cultured buttermilk as your clabber starter.  Just add it to skimmed milk that is about 80 degrees, cover the jar with a cloth - it really does need to breathe or it goes funky - and it will thicken to clabber in about 24 hours.  I put mine on top of the refrigerator to take advantage of the warmth there in the cooler months.  If it isn't thick enough the next day, you can boost it by putting the jar in a pot or sink ful of hot tap water.

without temperatures being specified in the recipe, I'm not sure how a thermometer would help you.  I would be careful of too high heat at this stage, though.  I'm thinking that you are just looking for the curds to shrink really well during this time frame.

Good luck and let us know how the next attempt turns out for you.