Author Topic: Rennet Veal - Floc times Increasing, Rennet Degrading Or Milk Changing?  (Read 2040 times)

cheezwhizz

I have a bottle of DCI veal rennet purchased from D. Connection about 3 months ago. ( Sept. 7th). When i first started using it,  it gave great result. 11, 12, 13 min flocs everytime. Then I took a month off from cheese making and when i started back in, about 2 weeks ago. The flocs havent been anywheres near as good as they where before. Made 3 batches with store bought milk and had 16, 16, 18 min flocs....I havent changed anything in the way of amounts, techniches or milk suppliers...Also over this past weekend i tried my first 2 batches of raw milk. Didnt add any CaCl to the first batch and had a 22 min floc. >:( ...on the second batch i added a "little" more rennet and 1/2 tsp  CaCl to 4 gals skimed and hit the 13 min. mark.... I know the easy answer here is the rennet has lost its strength. ""But"" I seam to remember reading a thread. talking about a cows change of diet in the winter months. can effect the milk. Could this be the problem?...The cows in my neck of the woods must have stopped field grazing about 4 weeks ago and are eatting silage now. could this be the cause?...could the milk be low in calcium?

linuxboy

Re: Rennet Veal - Floc times Increasing, Rennet Degrading Or Milk Changing?
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2010, 08:45:22 PM »
Yep, most likely winter milk issue. At fridge temps, the rennet degradation would not be this severe. Add CaCl2.

Offline Gürkan Yeniçeri

• The one who masters temperature and humidity can make any cheese.
  • Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 36
  • It's not a hobby, it's an addiction, a good one.
    • Artizan Peynirci
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2010, 09:16:29 PM »
I aggree with Linuxboy.

I have used a year old calf rennet the other day and it worked nicely. But I did have 2 little bottles of the same batch (coming from the same big container) and one of them (the one I mostly used) has totaly lost its properties. I had to throw that away, think it is contaminated.

cheezwhizz

« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2010, 09:25:26 PM »

Thanks guys...was worried about over rennetting. I'll jack-up the CaCl2...apreciate !

Hugh

linuxboy

« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2010, 09:41:41 PM »
Hugh, also add more rennet this time of year. Even for my semi-lactic curds I add another drop per gallon to have a better set.

cheezwhizz

« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2010, 10:28:02 PM »

LB...Thanksx3... I'll do that. Im gearing up for the big Parm make and i wanna get it right. This rennet thing really threw me.