Author Topic: Olives anyone?  (Read 5230 times)

smilingcalico

Olives anyone?
« on: December 31, 2010, 12:20:35 AM »
I just received as a gift a case of Graber olives from Ontario, CA.  They are truly delicious olives that my wifes family has enjoyed for decades.  This got me wondering if any crafty people on this forum make olives.  We'll hopefully be moving back to CA soon and would be nice to add this to my list of crafts.  Would be great to learn from others.

linuxboy

Re: Olives anyone?
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2010, 02:20:01 AM »
Yes, lactofermented. They take a long time that way. If you use lye, it only takes a few weeks before they are edible.

susanky

« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2010, 01:43:26 PM »
I am constantly amazed by you, linuxboy.  Your breadth of knowledge is amazing.  How is one lifetime enough to become an expert in so many fields?  We are lucky to have you here on the forum.  I'm going to cheese you for sharing it with us!
Susan

linuxboy

« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2010, 04:35:38 PM »
It's really easy, like making pickles or kimchee or kraut or any other fermented veggie.

You make up a light brine (1 cup salt to 1 gal water), and add a little vinegar and some lactic starter from a previous batch of kraut or pickles. Whey works in a pinch, or it will usually start on its own even without starter. Crack the olives with a rolling pin so during fermentation they are permeated more quickly. And then you put everything in a bucket, cover with a plate so that everything is anaerobic (molds and other unwanted stuff will grow if there's air exposure), and leave that for a few months. Instead of a bucket, you could use a gallon container with an airlock on it, like you would for winemaking.

Then sometimes I change out the brine if it gets too funky. Half a year later, they're ready to eat. Sometimes takes longer. You can store them in a light brine after they finish, but I just keep fermenting them.

I'm not so much an expert, but you're very kind. I throw stuff together and it tastes good and I feed people. :)

susanky

« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2011, 01:36:50 AM »
I'll bet you throw a heck of a fantastic dinner party! 8)

smilingcalico

« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2011, 02:51:30 AM »
I use lye for soap making, and clearing drains. I've heard of using for olives,  but I guess I'll have to Google a bit more on its use.  Is there a big flavor difference between the two methods? Do you have a preference for whey from a particular style cheese? Where in Washington do you source raw olives (or do you make a special trip to CA?)

MrsKK

« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2011, 04:10:57 PM »
My copy of Carla Emery's Encyclopedia of Country Living describes the lye method of making olives.  I know it is an older edition, maybe from the late 80's or early 90's, so I'm not sure if it is in the latest edition to come out.

linuxboy

« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2011, 06:29:08 PM »
I think there's a fairly big flavor difference. Lye will make olives soft and mushy and kind of buttery tasting, like avocados. And using water or brine will give you a lot more olive flavor... think kalamata vs canned olives.

I don't like using whey for lacto fermentation because classically Leuconostoc is the predominant bacteria naturally, and a whey will have mostly lactococcus usually. I usually use some liquid from a kraut batch or a pickle batch and keep the bacterial mix going, like sourdough.

I'm moving to CA, so I'm in Norcal fairly often, easy to get olives. In a few years hopefully I'll have my own. Olive trees are so pretty.

smilingcalico

« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2011, 08:38:23 PM »
Linuxboy, I'll be moving back there soon too. What area are you considering? Do you work in dairy, or is it just a hobby? We'll have to meet some time once we're both down there. I'll be in the Redding area.

linuxboy

« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2011, 09:50:41 PM »
I'll be in Ukiah, starting the farm buildout this year. Rather complicated answer of what I do for a living. As I like to say, I make people feel good about their decision to pay me money and I deliver peace of mind. :)

smilingcalico

« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2011, 04:06:30 AM »
Building out your own farm, will that be your new permanent home? It's about 3 hours from where I'll be.  Your job description certainly has me curious.

linuxboy

« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2011, 04:27:22 AM »
Yep, I'm trading in 100-hour weeks in the office for 100-hour weeks of kidding season and the sound of keyboard strokes for the sound of milk sloshing in the bucket :)

Tomer1

« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2011, 11:16:21 AM »
I have found that aging fermented olives to further break down bitter phenolic compounds really improoves flavour and aroma.
Thats why I make a rather big batch (10kg) each year in various styles (dry cured and emmersed in oil,brined and fermented, blacks and greens),
So Im always eating last years fruits.

smilingcalico

« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2011, 11:08:01 AM »
Don't worry, Linux, the 100 hour weeks last way longer than just kidding season.  By the way, are you also on a Saturn site as Linuxdude?

Tomer1, are you in CA?  At What point are you done curing the olives?  That is to say, do the phenolic compounds keep getting washed out with continued switching out of water or brine, or does this occur with your final brining or oil cure simply as a matter of extended time?

linuxboy

« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2011, 02:31:55 PM »
No, that's a different person. I also post on dairygoatinfo, but that's about it. The washing depends on what method you use. If you ferment, the bacteria and acid breaks down the bitterness. If you wash with water, it's a slow leaching process, and you need to wash repeatedly. If using lye, it's the lye.