Author Topic: Feasibility of using a buried storage container for affinage?  (Read 2345 times)

Offline george13

• Mature Cheese
  • Cheeses: 5
Feasibility of using a buried storage container for affinage?
« on: February 11, 2011, 03:49:56 PM »
I have been advised by the ag & markets people in NY State, that if I were to use a shipping container, I would need washable walls, sufficient light, and ventilation.  The later two items are workable; my concern is the wall surface.  Most likely any adhesive used to hold up plastic, would leave an odor and break down with humidity. 
Paint on the other hand would have to also withstand similar challenges.  If I use a lacquer base type, it would smell for quite some time, and of course would need to dry well before going underground. 
I could frame the inside (sounds like a great pain) and throw up plywood and approved plastic on the surface. 
Does anyone out there have any suggestions or ideas, they would be appreciated.  One last thought I had, would it not be great, if there was a way to apply some type of plastic coating (via spray of course) to the interior, and for it to be NSF certified and approved by the local agency.  Does anything like that exist?
Thank you,
George

OudeKaas

Re: Feasibility of using a buried storage container for affinage?
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2011, 01:16:34 AM »
I see where you are going with this - creating an artificial walk-in 'cave' by partially burying a corrugated steel shipping container. I understand they can be obtained quite cheaply.

How are the regulations for 'washable' surfaces defined? Containers are typically made of Cor-Ten steel which creates a self-weathering coating on its surface that is stable, but I do not know if it meets these requirements. I think the insides are commonly painted as well, not sure.

Offline george13

• Mature Cheese
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2011, 02:39:16 AM »
I'll have to ask them to elaborate on the "washable surface" issue, my concern is that they will next consider where the running water will go if I do wash the walls.  Live and learn.

DETERMINED

« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2011, 03:55:17 AM »
Look for a shipping container that had refrigeration on it. Some of them came with stainless steel or fiberglass interiors.

Offline george13

• Mature Cheese
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2011, 12:47:05 PM »
Good one!, thanks.  Why reinvent the wheel after all.

Oude Kaas

« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2011, 05:05:28 PM »
For the walls you can use FRP, (fiberglass reinforced panel) also called dairy board, and glue it to the wall. See underneath link:

http://www.frpshop.com/liner-panels-c-3_4.html

Basically, the walls have to be impervious.

As for the "running water", you need a floor drain and the floor has to be sloped towards the drain.

Are you thinking using the container as an aging facility as well? If so, you might want to consider the corrosive gasses given off by the cheese which might corrode the steel of the container. Also, keep in mind that whey is very corrosive and might effect the container as well.

spiraleddie

« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2011, 05:03:52 AM »
Hi,
   We had a similar issue with a shipping container that we wanted to convert into a light veterinary surgery clinic, we went with a material that is fairly common which is an expanded foam covered with a colourbond aluminium, it gives a great inert surface that is easy to clean and sanitise, i have also seen it used in pharmaceutical manufacturing plants to great effect. from my understanding its fairly commonly used in the food industry as well in processing area, plus its insulate.
you can also fairly easily cut and fix it to internal surfaces as well.

the main issue i have with shipping containers in general is that they tend to do a few trips around the world before they are retired, and at each port of call they are sprayed liberally with some pretty toxic compounds for all kinds of pests. i have read of studies were they have been swabbed and tested for pesticides and they have levels that would warrant concern for long term exposure, so i would suggest look at the history of the shipper or try to clean it well.

Offline george13

• Mature Cheese
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2011, 06:30:36 PM »
Thanks for all your input. Much appreciated.