Author Topic: Camembert - Liquified Body Problem  (Read 2000 times)

opalcab

Camembert - Liquified Body Problem
« on: March 03, 2011, 07:11:08 PM »
My Camembert was about 9 to11 weeks old and we cut of the mould to find that it had changed back into cream is this normal or was there a problem with the making process in the cheese making this was the first time that I have made it with cream and milk any words of wisdom would be a help from you more experienced cheese makers

smilingcalico

Re: Camembert - Liquified Body Problem
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2011, 10:39:18 PM »
I don't quite understand what you mean. A picture would be helpful. A guess would be that it's not cream, but the natural progression of maturation. Bloomy rinds do that.  You might have heard something about their runny quality. What temp were you ageing at? If you age around 54-55°f they'll mature faster (and therefore eaten sooner) than if you age at refrigerator temperature. I'm moving so my cheese books are packed away but your answer is probably in the bloomy rind board.

opalcab

« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2011, 08:27:26 PM »
The rind was thicker than 1/8 inch and the cheese was like thick milk but taste good it was just runny had no cheese texture at all just soupy inside

smilingcalico

« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2011, 09:25:47 PM »
There you have it. They ripened to the point of liquifying. You'll want to research ageing time and temperature to find out about when they'll peak so you'll know about when to cut into them.  As I don't have a cave, I ripen in the fridge. Mine can easily go 10 weeks before cutting. If you have an ageing space around 54°,they'll ripen sooner.

opalcab

« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2011, 04:33:17 AM »
Thanks I have a cheese cave with fridge control it is set at 55 but this was in the fridge at 38
Thanks for the info I did not know they would melt down when over ripe I have never had one long enough to do that
happy cheese making and eating
Stan

Brie

« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2011, 04:52:41 AM »
Stan--unless your cam was made from goat's milk, I doubt it was the aging that made for a runny paste. More likely in the make. There are many posts on this site for cam and Brie that may help--it's an easy cheese to make but does require great attention in the aging process (humidty and temp control). In addition, if the PH is off it will affect the outcome. If this cheese is made according to tradition, aging at 9 weeks will only make it stronger (taste-wise), and for afficionados "better". It would not make the interior like "milk".  I have that happen with goat cheese, which ages very, very quickly.

smilingcalico

« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2011, 08:44:24 PM »
Ah, now knowing your fridge temp, I have to side with Brie.  It probably is in the make. Poking around I found that high moisture in curds when the rind forms is a likely candidate for this issue.
This poses another question for me.  It seems to me then that excessive curd moisture accelerates maturing, as a Camembert will get runny when aged too long.  Is it in fact accelerated, or is there a difference in the breakdown of the cheese, or is it the same process?

opalcab

« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2011, 11:18:52 PM »
This cheese was solid about 2 weeks Pryor to the melt down I now know if I keep it to long it will melt down thanks for the help I have to go I'm making some cream cheese right know thanks again

Stan