Author Topic: Charcuterie - pictures  (Read 9550 times)

Helen

Charcuterie - pictures
« on: March 20, 2011, 06:14:23 PM »
Hello all,

Yesterday, I decided that my salamis (saucisson in the text) were ready and took out the slicer. I think the results was very close in taste to what I wanted to achieve but next time, I will put less fat in them. I like my salamis when they are "meatier" (if that makes sense).

Also, I have finally come around making picnic ham. For the longest time, I imagined that it would be difficult to achieve but it was actually very easy and the results were very rewarding.

My next steps will be to bake some bread, slather some home-made butter on it and enjoy a cheese/ham/salami sandwich with a glass of red... or maybe homebrew to complete the fully home-made picture.

Life is good!

Pictures below!

Tomer1

Re: Charcuterie - pictures
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2011, 10:32:38 AM »
Awesome fat marbling on the salami.
Care to share your recipe?

dthelmers

« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2011, 01:23:03 PM »
Absolutely beautiful! What relative humidity are you aging these at?
Dave in CT

Helen

« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2011, 11:37:18 PM »
So, if I can read my notes correctly, here is the recipe:

Cure for 1kg of meat:
22g of salt
6g of crushed pepper
10g of dextrose
1g of dried garlic
1g of yogurt ferment
Prague powder #2 as directed per package

I had 2.5kg of pork shoulder and 0.8kg of pork fat. I cut everything in big cubes, seasoned with the cure and refrigerate everything for 2 hours.
Then I diced everything in my grinder (big dice) and added 50mL of good red wine per kg to the mix. I mixed with my hand for a couple of minutes before putting back to the fridge for 20 minutes.
I then used hog casings to make the sausages.

I left the sausages in a warm, high RH place for 24 hours before spraying them with some water incubated with penicilium candidum.

I then hanged them to dry in my 90% RH cave. I then slowly lowered my RH to 75% in a matter of two weeks. The PC took over quite quickly and then receded slightly to become the fleur de saucisson/powdery stuff that is common on salamis.

I left them to dry for about 4/5 weeks.

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 106
    • Deejays Smoke Pit and DSP Forums
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2011, 11:34:17 PM »
Looking good there Helen and welcome aboard!
« Last Edit: March 30, 2011, 12:32:37 AM by DeejayDebi »

OudeKaas

« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2011, 12:29:51 AM »
These look fabulous! I've already eaten dinner, but you are settiing my stomach a-grumblin'! Space and time permitting, I would love to give this sort of thing a shot at some point. I may have an opportunity to make some jerky in the near future, so that might be a tippy-toe step in a meaty direction . . . .

tananaBrian

« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2011, 06:15:42 PM »
Are you using your cheese cave for the sausage as well, and is that why you used p. candidum?  (I'm a newb...)

Brian

Helen

« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2011, 06:19:55 PM »
Debi - Thank you. I have been looking at your posts regarding charcuterie for a while and I have to say that you have been an inspiration.

Brandnetel - It is actually much easier than cheese, IMHO. The only thing that you need to be super extra careful about is sanitation. I started with dry-curing whole muscles because you have fewer things to worry about.

TananaBrian - I am using my cheese cave (wine fridge) for my cheeses as well. The only reason that I used P.candidum is because I had it on hand and it is cheaper than the stuff I could buy on butcher-packer. I have not noted any difference in taste.

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 106
    • Deejays Smoke Pit and DSP Forums
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2011, 02:58:48 PM »
Thank you Helen. You've done well. The good thing about living in CT is I have about 4.5 months my spare room is cold enough to cure sausages in so I make the bulk of them now. I will have to switch to the cheese caves soon as it is warming up some. I look foward to seeing more of your sausages and hams. I will add a recipe to the soppressata picture - that one is easy and a wonderful sausgage. I layed out about 30 pounds of it for a funeral breakfast about 2 weeks ago. Once they found it I don't think they ate anything else. I had to go home and get more twice! Luckly I lived close to the hall it was at.

tananaBrian

« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2011, 06:36:19 PM »
Yup ...I am also inspired (and hungry)!

Helen, Maybe the post was from you but somewhere I saw someone asking about cross-contamination into cheese from the penicillin cultures used on fermented sausages if the cheese cave was used for both.  I thought the poster said something about using the same culture as on the cheese in order to avoid this issue and that it worked well.  I might be in the same boat, so it's interesting... I already have a separate mini-fridge for retarding dough, a wine fridge to be a cheese cave, and would hate to buy a THIRD fridge just for fermenting sausages!

Brian

dttorun

« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2011, 09:14:01 PM »
So, if I can read my notes correctly, here is the recipe:

Cure for 1kg of meat:
22g of salt
6g of crushed pepper
10g of dextrose
1g of dried garlic
1g of yogurt ferment
Prague powder #2 as directed per package

I had 2.5kg of pork shoulder and 0.8kg of pork fat. I cut everything in big cubes, seasoned with the cure and refrigerate everything for 2 hours.
Then I diced everything in my grinder (big dice) and added 50mL of good red wine per kg to the mix. I mixed with my hand for a couple of minutes before putting back to the fridge for 20 minutes.
I then used hog casings to make the sausages.

I left the sausages in a warm, high RH place for 24 hours before spraying them with some water incubated with penicilium candidum.

I then hanged them to dry in my 90% RH cave. I then slowly lowered my RH to 75% in a matter of two weeks. The PC took over quite quickly and then receded slightly to become the fleur de saucisson/powdery stuff that is common on salamis.

I left them to dry for about 4/5 weeks.

Amazing salami and interesting ingredients, I love French style salami. Now I start thinking making my own salami on top of cheese and wine. I have some questions though. Quick search led me find that nitrite salt (Prague #2) is not sold in Canada. So, can nitrate salt (Prague #1) be used instead? What is yogurt ferment? Is it the culture used to make yogurt? Can I replace dextrose with sugar?

Thanks,
Tan

mikeradio

« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2011, 09:26:21 PM »
You can find Prague #2 in Canada, I have purchased it and use it in sausage making.  I am not sure where you are in Canada, I use stuffers in Vancouver

http://estores.wws5.com/stuffers.com/wecs.php?store=stuffers&action=searchadvanced&noform=1&advancedsearch_words=prague

Another common name is cure #1 and cure #2 for Prague #1 and Prague #2
« Last Edit: April 02, 2011, 06:22:32 PM by mikeradio »

Helen

« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2011, 12:40:24 AM »
Debi - a spare room for curing sausages and for aging cheese? That sounds like a dream to me. My wine fridge is currently the site for a raging battle for space between my salamis and cheeses. Thanks for sharing your recipes with us. I will definitely look for it.

Brian - Yes, that was me. I use PC on my sausages to prevent other bad molds from growing there. I age both cheese and salamis in the same space. However, my cheeses are in aging containers... so they are not really sharing the same direct environment. The only thing I make sure of is that my cheeses are above the sausages so that there is no dripping on the cheese.

Tan - Prague #1 is not to be used for dry-curing. Prague#1 is used to cure meats that will be cooked. Prague #2 has several other names: Instacure #2, Cure #2... Mine is called D.Q Curing Salt #2. Yogurt ferment is the culture that you would use to make yogurt. I have read that some people use plain yogurt instead of the culture. And finally, yes you may use sugar instead of dextrose. But you would have to adjust quantities. One of the reason I used dextrose is because it is said to be less sweet and the grains are finer.

Offline WhiteSageFarms

• Medium Cheese
  • Cheeses: 4
    • White Sage Farms
« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2011, 04:46:38 AM »
Helen,

Your saucisson looks delicious! I'm in school at University of Idaho, currently in a class where we slaughter, process, and then make products out of steer, pigs, and lambs. We've been making various recipes of fresh and smoked sausages this week. I'm going to ask the meat lab instructor about making some like yours! It's making my mouth water!

~Laurie

White Sage Farms
www.whitesagefarms.com

tananaBrian

« Reply #14 on: April 02, 2011, 06:09:37 PM »
Amazing salami and interesting ingredients, I love French style salami. Now I start thinking making my own salami on top of cheese and wine. I have some questions though. Quick search led me find that nitrite salt (Prague #2) is not sold in Canada. So, can nitrate salt (Prague #1) be used instead? What is yogurt ferment? Is it the culture used to make yogurt? Can I replace dextrose with sugar?

Thanks,
Tan

If I recall, nitrate converts to nitrite in the presence of unwanted critters (I'm not the scientist to tell you what 'critters' means) and is falling out of favor nowadays.  I'm pretty sure a smaller dose of nitrites right from the start is the preferred way of curing meats.  (I read my 'fermented sausages' book just once and it's been awhile so my info might be wrong or out of date ...when I get time for a new hobby, I'll read it again).  Might want to look into that.

Brian