Author Topic: Pastrami  (Read 3905 times)

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 106
    • Deejays Smoke Pit and DSP Forums
Pastrami
« on: March 30, 2011, 12:41:57 AM »
This is my Italian style pastrami. Very simple to make and a huge crowd pleaser. I will start making it by the case (80 pound boxes) in two weeks. For some reason it is a highly requested ite in the spring.

arkc

Re: Pastrami
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2011, 11:45:38 PM »
Sorry, I am newish here and just saw this. 

I have done corned beef and pastramis (Kosher style) but I didn't really like the recipes I found.
Do you have a good recipe for Jewish pastrami, you know like you find in NY.  Bad for your
heart, but great for your mouth!

annie

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2011, 06:32:30 PM »
I can't say it's Kosher but this tastes like the stuff you'll get in NYC. That is what I was stiving for when I perfected the recipe.

arkc

« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2011, 07:41:09 PM »
Not worried about Kosher.  The reason I asked is that it doesn't look fatty enough to be smiliar to
the Jewish pastrami.   What cut of beef do you use?

annie

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2011, 08:00:48 PM »
I use a brisket separated and fat well trimmed - I don't like fat at all. I have also used lean beef roasts because they are leaner. If you like it fattier don't trim it like I do.

arkc

« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2011, 08:29:12 PM »
I do like fatty pastrami.  And I usually don't trim much.  But I didn't see a recipe here.

annie

linuxboy

« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2011, 08:38:04 PM »
Annie, they're all on Deejay's site (which is awesome)

http://www.deejayssmokepit.net/pastrami.htm

dthelmers

« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2011, 04:54:29 AM »
The "plate" is the cut that many NY delis used for pastrami. Lots of fat, like bacon, striped with fat and lean. The brisket is probably more common these days, and for lean pastrami I use the round, nice if it's going to be served cold and sliced thin. But that good fatty plate is my favorite! We called it "kosher bacon" when we were kids. I can still get it up here in Meriden, CT., made by Kayem, but you have to ask for it at the deli, they don't have it on display. They call it "black Pastrami". I've not been able to get the plate locally, so I use brisket usually. I brine with 2 cups of salt, 1/2 cup sugar, 5 teaspoons Prague powder #1, 1/2 bottle of pickling spice and 1/4 cup of minced garlic per gallon of water. After it's cured, I dry it a bit and coat it with equal parts of ground coriander and black pepper, then smoke at 180F until the internal temp is 150F. I've been using cherry lately, and I like it right well; otherwise hickory.
Dave in CT

arkc

« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2011, 05:49:14 AM »
Thanks.   The Plate huh?  I've always only used the brisket. But I have a great  meat market here, I bet
that they can get it for me.  And thanks for the etc. 

annie

george

« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2011, 11:32:38 AM »
Dave, it's funny about that Kayem - here, a mere one state/2 hours away, it's in every deli display case and they call it "red pastrami" - they call the leaner stuff "black pastrami".  Go figgah.

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2011, 10:29:00 PM »
Everyone has their own version these days I guess. BTW I love a hickory, apple, cherry and pecan wood mix - awsome smoke!