Author Topic: Mozzarella Flavour - How Increase?  (Read 1625 times)

Gustav

Mozzarella Flavour - How Increase?
« on: June 24, 2011, 03:54:22 PM »
I use strepto thermo & Bulgaracus. What will happen if I add Helveticus?
How can I increase the taste?

dthelmers

Re: How do I increase mozzarella taste?
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2011, 06:24:34 PM »
In Pav's recipe for fresh curd, he pre-ripens the milk with L. diacetylactis. I like the flavor a lot, and I think it would be good for mozzarella. See the recipe at wacheese.com
Dave in CT

Gustav

« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2011, 07:00:55 PM »
Ok then, but won't the gas production from diacetylactis tend to give the cheese a fizzu taste?  Did you recieve the docs I mailed you?

dthelmers

« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2011, 08:25:39 PM »
Yes, thank you very much! I'm working my way through them, looking up the terms as I go.
I've been pre-ripening with MM100 at about 76°f, then proceeding with the thermo culture at thermo temperatures, so the meso dies off or at least becomes inactive before the real make begins. This makes a cheese with a lot of initial flavor, but it's made at thermo temps, and the thermo seems to be what drives the acidification for the rest of the make. I guess any CO2 that's produced dissipates long before the curd is formed and cooked. I've been pretty much cheddaring these, and they're at their best at 3 weeks. At 6 weeks they are crumbly, salty, and a lot like feta. But when the curds are fresh, before I press them, they are very tasty. I don't think I would ripen them for the three hours I usually do for mozzarella, but I'd think that an hour might give a fuller flavor, then use your thermos like usual.
Dave in CT