Author Topic: Gelato Making - Creamy Blackberry  (Read 1983 times)

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 106
    • Deejays Smoke Pit and DSP Forums
Gelato Making - Creamy Blackberry
« on: June 27, 2011, 10:10:40 PM »
I made a standard custard based gelato.

Gelato di Crema
I use this one for my base recipe for most of my gelatos

Ingredients
5 large egg yolks
3/4 cup sugar
2 1/4 cups (18 ounces) whole milk
1 cup heavy cream
½ teaspoon corn starch
1 vanilla bean
1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice if adding fruit

Method
In a large bowl whisk together the egg yolks and the sugar until pale yellow and thickens up.
Combine the whole milk, heavy cream, corn starch and 1 vanilla bean, sliced in half lengthwise in a saucepan. Heat the mixture just until it starts to bubble along the edges. Do not allow the mixture to boil. Remove from the heat.
Remove the vanilla bean and scrape out the seeds with the tip if a small knife and add the seeds back into the milk mixture. Discard the vanilla bean shell.
While whisking the egg mixture add in about a cup of the warm milk mixture and combine together. Then add in the rest of the egg mixture to the milk. Heat the mixture slowly to 175 to 180 degrees F. The custard should be thickened and coat the back of a wooden spoon. Do not allow the custard to simmer.
Strain the custard through a fine mesh sieve, stir in lemon if you are adding fruit ,cover and refrigerate until well chilled.
You can transfer this custard into the ice cream maker and follow manufacturer's instructions. This will make vanilla gelato, or you can add chopped about 1 ½ to 2 cups fruit.
I always make a double batch it will keep in the refrigerator for several days and by then you will be ready to make another flavor!

The make

Mixed sugar and egg yolks

Warming the milk, vanila and cream

Tempering the egg yolks

Cooking the custard

After cooking I put the pan in the sink with cold water to cool. It's still almost ice water coming from the tap.

Churning the Gelato

Almost done

Creamy Blackberry Gelato - Perfecto!

Mmmmmmm!

Tomer1

Re: Gelato Making - Creamy Blackberry
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2011, 11:56:49 PM »
For thos without icecream makers,
Ive found a good way to create a smooth gelato without ice crystals (which form when using static freezing)
Once the ice cream has turned fairly solid put it in a strong food processor and blend on high speed for 30-60 seconds untill all the ice cream is blended and keep adding more ice cream blending untill its sucked into the whirlpool and then some.
The icecream will soften and partially melt but its now considerablly smoothered in texture.
Return it to the freezer to once again solidify.
If done quickly the ice crystals will not regenerate.

Btw,
I replace about 5-10% of the sugar with invert sugar which really boosts the texture and I suspect helps my blender trick.
I got some blueberry cake filling in the fridge, I think i'l give it a go tomorow,
I made some terrific peach ice cream last week which was gone within days.
Unfortunatlly I started some new pain managment pills which really promotes wight gain so Im denying myslef of anything which is not low fat dairy\meat or veg.  :p

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 106
    • Deejays Smoke Pit and DSP Forums
Re: Gelato Making - Creamy Blackberry
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2011, 03:03:10 AM »
Tomer - Peach is one of my favorites. I even make snow icecream in peach flavor. SOrry to hear you have to avoid the Icecream in the summer. Do you like ices? You can make sorbets and ices really easily in a blender or food processor. I also have a ton of recipes for ice milks that are pretty good too maybe that would help.

I have about 300 pages of recipes in my ebook Frozen Deserts  Ice Cream, Ice Milk, Gelato, Sorbetto, Sorbet,  Sherbet, Granita, Popcicles, sauces, toppings, and cones about 500 recipes, some low cal, some for diabetics, some even dairy free (sorry didn't mean to swear).