Author Topic: Surface Molds, Unwanted - Recommendations?  (Read 1212 times)

Offline george13

• Mature Cheese
  • Cheeses: 5
Surface Molds, Unwanted - Recommendations?
« on: July 26, 2011, 10:26:17 PM »
Would anyone know whether or not it is acceptable to use some vinegar along with a brine solution so as to scrape or brush any unwanted mould from the rind of cheese during affinage, and thereafter rub with salt.  Someone mentioned it to me recently, and although I can see where vinegar may inhibit mold formation, its acidity may have adverse effects on the cheese, or not??? 

MrsKK

Re: Surface Molds, Unwanted - Recommendations?
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2011, 01:24:09 AM »
I use coarse salt to scrub the mold off first, then wipe it off with a paper towel wetted with vinegar.  I've had the best results (slower re-growth of mold) when using raw apple cider vinegar.  It does not affect the flavor of the cheese, IMHO.

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 344
  • Contemplating cheese
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2011, 06:34:15 AM »
I would echo MrsKK's advice.

It depends on how much mold is on the rind. I've had to gently brush some fairly heavy unwanted blue away with vinegar that has salt dissolved in it. I did that over the sink, letting the brushing and vinegar solution wash the blue away. Then I dried the rind and put it back in the cave.

Other small bits of mold that think they've found a home in some crevices of a rind will be gently dislodged with a toothpick dipped in vinegar/salt solution and then those areas are lightly salted.

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!
Bread, beer, wine, cheese...it's all good.

Offline george13

• Mature Cheese
  • Cheeses: 5
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2011, 09:07:03 AM »
thanks for the advice, what type of brushes would you recomend as best suited for this process.

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 344
  • Contemplating cheese
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2011, 04:42:34 PM »
thanks for the advice, what type of brushes would you recomend as best suited for this process.
I use a dedicated soft-bristle brush, but there are lots of alternatives out there.

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!
Bread, beer, wine, cheese...it's all good.

MrsKK

« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2011, 08:04:24 PM »
I have a couple of dedicated, new toothbrushes that I use for this purpose.  They seem to work just fine on cheese as well as teeth!