Author Topic: What's the name of this pesto cheese? (yes, pesto!)  (Read 2355 times)

mizumi

What's the name of this pesto cheese? (yes, pesto!)
« on: November 08, 2011, 08:36:45 PM »
Hi!
I'm a cheese lover, and recently I've been to the Provence, in the south of France. France never disappoints me when it comes to discovering new cheeses, as it's the land (or better heaven) of cheeses. I could move to France just to be able to buy those tender smelly cheeses at an affordable price; here in Spain they cost way mooore. And this time, the discovering was the most :o I've ever had related to a cheese.

The cheese was one made with pesto (as in the "Spaguetti al pesto"!! Yes, filled with albahaca flavour). I found it at a street market at Aix-en-Provence and when I saw it I thought it would taste eww but it tasted really good!! You know, a green cheese looks so suspicious... humm...

I asked the seller to let me try it and when I asked her to tell me what it was she just said "fromage du pistou", that is "pisto cheese". Anyway, I was like "ok, I gotta buy that cheese", but forgot asking the name, haha. So... here I have the photos of this misterious cheese. I hope you can help me find out the mistery...

So here are the clues:

Where I've written "read: ND" I meant "ND" is what you can read at the bottom part of the cheese in that picture. I just wanted to clarify it in case someone couldn't read it.

Thank you in advance!
« Last Edit: November 08, 2011, 08:58:03 PM by mizumi »

Offline fied

• Mature Cheese
  • Cheeses: 6
  • Default personal text
Re: What's the name of this pesto cheese? (yes, pesto!)
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2011, 09:54:23 PM »
"Groen" or "groene" is Dutch for "green." ND is short for "Nederland." This isn't a French cheese.

linuxboy

« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2011, 10:26:55 PM »
Looks like Basiron. Gouda style, not French.

Cheese Head

« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2011, 12:39:19 AM »
Welcome mizumi, still looks like great cheese, I think you are the first here with green cheese!

Tomer1

« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2011, 01:08:28 AM »
Whats the green Equv. to anato?

mizumi

« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2011, 08:34:17 AM »
Thank you for all your replies!

Thanks to your tips somehow I managed to do a more specific search in google and... tada! I found my cheese!!
It's name is "Landana Green Pesto"! There's even a Red Pesto Cheese by Landana too! Fied was right: it's a Dutch cheese. I never thought I would buy a Dutch cheese thinking I was buying a weird local French cheese (I thought it would be an Italian cheese at the most) XD

Tomer1: What is anato?

« Last Edit: November 09, 2011, 10:03:31 AM by mizumi »