Author Topic: My new Bûcheron moulds  (Read 5125 times)

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 344
  • Contemplating cheese
My new Bûcheron moulds
« on: November 13, 2011, 04:04:23 AM »
I had been looking for a tall alternative to my Tomme mould. I wanted a taller, narrower form factor rather than lower and wider.

I thought I had found my solution while in the store a couple weeks ago. I posted it on the forum compared to Cam moulds stacked one on top of the other. Seemed like a great find.... It was a large Rubbermaid container. I  envisioned making lots of holes in this container to create my big mould.

Then providence stepped in. I was informed of something quite possibly better and commercial...from France. Yoav (iratherfly) enlightened me to the existence of Bûcheron moulds and posted a pic. Wow.  :D

To make this story a little shorter...they arrived today. I was so thrilled in how they looked and felt. I felt like a kid at Christmas! I'm afraid I gushed over them to my poor wife. She was very patient and understanding.  ;)

They are perfect. I can't wait to put some curds in them and road test them. Thanks, Yoav. Good job!

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!
Bread, beer, wine, cheese...it's all good.

Oberhasli

Re: My new Bûcheron moulds
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2011, 05:26:05 PM »
Boofer,

Those bucheron moulds look really nice.  I assume they are bottomless?  What recipe are you going to use when you make your cheese?  I have always wanted to make that cheese - its sooooooo good  :).  But, I have always wondered how to get it to keep its nice log shape.  I guess draining is the key. 

Bonnie

Cheese Head

« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2011, 09:42:56 PM »
Boofer, they look great, thanks for the pics! Love the much higher # of draining holes vs standard Camembert hoops.

Where did you order them from?

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 344
  • Contemplating cheese
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2011, 12:23:06 AM »
Where did you order them from?
That would be iratherfly.

I assume they are bottomless?  What recipe are you going to use when you make your cheese?
Yes, they are bottomless. I haven't focused in on a recipe yet, but iratherfly gave me some direction. Because of the sheer number of drainage holes, my mind dances around thoughts of Crottin, Epoisses, Le Delice du Jura (Reblochon-style Tomme), Munster, Livarot, some blues....

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!
Bread, beer, wine, cheese...it's all good.

darius

« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2011, 03:19:28 PM »
Those look wonderful, Boofer! Looking forward to the cheese you make in them.

iratherfly

« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2011, 10:21:49 PM »
Oh wow, I totally missed out on this thread. So glad you like them!  I must tell you that I gushed over them to my wife first. She too could not understand the excitement...

By the way, you see these little external latches about 1/3rd of the way through the small Bûcherondin in your photo?  Those are for multi-mould assembly, a tell-tell sign of industrial moulds. Take about 48 of those and slide them through holes in a specially-designed tray until they click into place. Now you can mould them all at once, turn them together, take them from point A to point B together etc.

These are great.  My newest blue cheese made in the small model had just became aged. I love it. I can slice the cheese into separate cheese wheels and cut each to wedges for serving.

So many moulds to go through! Anyone else?  :D

anutcanfly

« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2011, 01:32:23 AM »
Nice molds!  You wouldn't happen to have a 2 lb tomme mold?  I can't seem to find that size.

iratherfly

« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2011, 03:49:25 AM »
I can get you anything your heart's desire...

They do make these. These are Petite Tommes but actually what they do is take a ø135mm (5⅓" inch) Reblochon mould and pair it with a 132mm follower (follower is always slightly smaller to allow space for cheesecloth). These are meant to be pressed by gravity or lightly by the weight of another cheese or two (which is how Tommes are typically made), they are not made for pneumatic presses. They are obviously perfect for Reblochon.  I sell them for $16.50 each (mould+follower included) but right now I don't have the lids. They are arriving from France but it may take about a month or so.  PM me if you are interested.

Tomer1

« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2011, 06:30:13 AM »
What molds are suitable for high pressure?

I wana test my hydraulic wine press on a cheddar and really crank the beast.  I have 5 tons at my disposal.

anutcanfly

« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2011, 07:46:51 PM »
That looks like what I have already....? Oh, I see!  Mine were listed as 1 pound molds but they really hold 2 1b!  I am good for now then.  I'll remember to tag you first when looking for molds.

iratherfly

« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2011, 07:25:40 AM »
anutcanfly - Just notice the size. These are not those Tomme moulds sold everywhere. These are for Reblochons and are smaller -notice the size and compare it with a measuring tape with your moulds to see if it is indeed the same.

Tomer - I have other ones that are more proper for press. They are much thicker and heavier, but they are also much more expensive. Yuo don't have to spend as much as Kadova moulds but expect them to be $30-$60 in the 5"-10" range.