Author Topic: Choosing cultures  (Read 4332 times)

Offline scasnerkay

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 197
  • Default personal text
Choosing cultures
« on: December 30, 2011, 05:16:37 AM »
I just received "Artisan Cheese Making at Home", and mostly followed the recipe for Saffron Infused Manchego. Not knowing what kind of difference it would make, I used the cultures I had on hand, Thermo C and Mesophilic C101 (rather than Thermo B and Meso MM100) 1/4 tsp of each for the 2 gallons.

So my question is, what kind of difference would it make to use the other cultures?
Susan

Cheese Head

Re: Choosing cultures
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2011, 01:44:33 PM »
Several manufactured cultures listed here.

On the thermophilic starter culture:
  • When you say you used Thermo C I believe you are using Abiasa’s Thermophilic Type C which contains Streptococcus thermophilus & Lactococcus helveticus.
  • When you say the recipe called for Thermo B I believe that is Abiasa’s Thermophilic Type B which contains Streptococcus thermophilus & Lactococcus bulgaricus.
  • helveticus should provide a sweeter - nuttier flavour than the recipe's bulgaricus.
On the meosphilic starter culture:
  • Sorry but I don't know what C101 is, can you elaborate?
  • MM100 is Danisco's Choozit popular starter culture containing Lactococcus lactis subspecies lactis, Lactococcus lactis subspecies cremoris, and Lactococcus lactis subspecies biovar diacetylactis.
Hope helps!

Offline scasnerkay

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 197
  • Default personal text
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2011, 10:41:22 PM »
Thank you for your answer!
I started making cheese this summer using the New England Cheesemaking basic cheese kit, which had pre-measured packets of mesophilic and thermophilic cultures. The mesophilic is called C101, and has lacto... lactis ssp lactis, and lacto... lactis ssp cremoris and the thermophilic is called Thermo C201 and has streptococcus thermophilus and lactobacillus helveticus.
When I used up the original packets, I ordered more, as well as some italase lipase powder and more vegetable rennet tablets.
Making cheese now about 1 time a week, I am not sure of the best way to obtain and use/keep cultures. I would like to try some other types of cultures, but I don't want to buy large volume and waste. I do not know how long a larger package lasts once it is opened.
Where do people on the forum tend to buy their cultures?
I have seen videos online of people measuring culture with a measuring spoon from small plastic-lidded containers. Seems more convenient...
Susan

dthelmers

« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2011, 12:04:40 AM »
I buy my cultures from Midwest Brewing when I'm ordering brewing supplies, or otherwise Steve Shapson at thecheesemaker.com. I keep them in the freezer and they hold up fine. Also, search the archives for SailorConQueso's instructions on making mother cultures, which is more economical and shortens any pre-ripening time.