Author Topic: Raw MIlk Jack  (Read 1786 times)

Offline scasnerkay

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 197
  • Default personal text
Raw MIlk Jack
« on: January 23, 2012, 04:44:26 AM »
I was given a gallon of raw milk for the first time, and found a recipe for Jack cheese in Mary Karlin's book using just one gallon and some cream. Not being familiar with using raw milk, I added 1/4 tsp calcium chloride (recipe says 1/2 tsp) as "insurance" because I am used to using it with P/H milk. I also use a pre-measured packet of NEC C101 culture rather than the 1/2 tsp of Meso III called for in the recipe. I think the cheese set up faster than the 35 mins suggested after adding the 1/2 tsp rennet, but I was trying to find the flocculation point by putting the knife in and watching for milk to collect on it and I never did see this.... So at 35 mins, it may have been a bit beyond clean break. I followed the recipe along, and was quite impressed at how this curd looked and felt different from the curd made with P/H milk. It was more firm and even squeaky. I do not know if this was just from letting it go beyond clean break, or if it was because it was raw milk. The recipe calls for pressing with only one pound, which did nothing to help my curd knit together, so I increased it to 6#, flipped and then pressed for 8 hours at 10 # rather than the called for 4 #. Still the curd was not smooth, though it did hold together and it weighed 1 # 3 oz this morning. Next the recipe suggests putting a cheesecloth bandage on it and aging it for 2 months. So then I will see. But that is such a long time to wait and see how raw milk is different for making cheese!
Susan

MrsKK

Re: Raw MIlk Jack
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2012, 05:05:06 PM »
You didn't need to use CaCl with the raw milk, but I don't think it will hurt anything that you did.

Great score on getting some raw milk!

anutcanfly

« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2012, 07:49:56 PM »
It's a bit of a surprise how firm the curd is with raw milk when you've been used to p/h milk.  If you're still having problem with the floc tests... Try dipping your curd knife in at the beginning so you have a point of comparison.  When you think it should be close drop a toothpick on the top and nudge it gently with another toothpick.  If it want's to stay in place you're good to go.  The problem I run into with both the floating bowl and the tooth pick is that the agitation of the surface milk can affect the reading.  It's ready and you don't realize it.  So if it's not ready wait a minute or two, but rather than nudge the same toothpick, drop another in a different spot and nudge that.  Dip your knife when you're sure flocculation has begun so you can see what it looks like.  With time you'll get the hang of it.  I am very skeptical about the pressing weights she recommends, way too light!

Offline scasnerkay

• Old Cheese
  • Default personal text
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2012, 05:41:23 AM »
Just to help me understand the definition without having to search, at what point in the process of the rennet causing coagulation does flocculation occur? And then the multipliers for each type of cheese are listed where?
Susan

zenith1

« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2012, 01:42:24 PM »
Goodmorning- The coagulation that happens when you dd the rennet to your milk is a highly complex chemical reaction. Our fellow member Pav has written a few short paragraphs on the Washington cheese Guild website. He state:
"he acidity level of the milk when you adding rennet and the time from adding rennet to the time you cut the curd are two important decision factors in making blue cheese. The acidity level is important because it coincides with the amount of starter added earlier, and the time spent in ripening the milk to activate the starter. Normal milk has a pH of about 6.6. Most blue cheeses are renneted at a pH of 6.4-6.5. If the pH is too high, the rennet is not as effective and the milk takes longer to set. If it is much lower, then the bacteria are active, or too much starter has been used, or the milk is off, or too much time has gone to ripen the milk. A slightly acidified milk also retains moisture better because the acid degrades calcium, making the casein proteins more likely to retain water.

After adding rennet, the next aspect to consider is the strength of the curd when cutting it. This is crucial to obtain the proper final moisture content of the cheese. A strong curd that sets for a long time after adding rennet retains moisture better than a weak curd that has not set for long. It may seem counterintuitive, but the longer a curd sets, the stronger the coagulum gel becomes, and it is less likely to release moisture from within that coagulum.

A good way to determine when to cut, especially without years of experience, is to use a multiplier method in combination with timing the point when the surface gels. Rennet coagulates milk in two phases. The first phase is when the rennin cleaves about 75% of the k-casein protein, which enables the other caseins to bond together. And the second phase is when those proteins actually initially bond and form a weak gel. The transition point happens very quickly, and that's when a surface gel forms. If you measure the amount of time it takes from when you add rennet to when a surface gel forms, it is possible to use a multiplier to determine when to cut the curd. The time it takes for the surface to gel varies with the milk, which itself varies with the lactation period, time of year, feed, etc. By using a method to time the initial surface gel and a multiplier, you can be fairly sure that the coagulum strength is the same regardless of the milk.

To use a multiplier method with the surface gel point, measure the amount of time it takes from when you add rennet to when the surface gels, and then multiply that time by a multiplier. Blues use a 4x multiplier. A useful method to determine the surface gel point is to float a sanitized bowl that floats on top of the milk and nudge it. When you nudge it and it doesn't move, the surface has gelled. This usually takes 10-15 minutes. To determine the point of cutting the curd, multiply the time to surface gel by the multiplier. For example, if it takes 10 minutes for the surface to gel, with a 4x multiplier, you will wait 40 minutes total from the time you added rennet to the time you cut the curd."
This briefly describes the process that you want to follow to determine curd flocculation point-good work once again Pav! As far as a list of multipliers I have attached a very short list you can use as a guideline posted by another member some time ago. Remember that this is another tool that you can use to craft your cheese in the manner(moisture content) that you want and to be able to achieve consistence(reproducibility)in your makes. The multiplier is only a guide..sometimes based on common practice. You might feel that you need to tweak it for your own use. If the make calls for a multiplier of 3, don't be afraid to use 2.5 or 3.5 to fit your needs. You will obviously will not want to double it or cut it in half- you COULD do this if you were looking to make a totally different cheese. For instance if you were making a Romano and used a multiplier of 4 you might end up with a very nice cheese, but the curd would be way too moist and probably would not be very gratable at all. It would probably also age quite a bit faster than a traditional Romano. Lots to consider here...thanks to the members who provided the information I have quoted in this post.

anutcanfly

« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2012, 05:44:06 PM »
Thanks zenith1,

Your attentiveness to us floundering newbies is noticed and very appreciated!  Have a cheese!  :)

Offline scasnerkay

• Old Cheese
  • Default personal text
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2012, 10:38:57 PM »
Thank you very much. Sooo much to take in and learn.....
Susan

Offline scasnerkay

• Old Cheese
  • Default personal text
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2012, 04:33:32 AM »
I cut open this cheese made 2 months ago and was delighted! My co-workers rated it "best cheese yet"! I am wondering if it was so good because of the raw milk. Could it make that much difference? I also was surprised that even though in retrospect  it seems like a lot of culture and rennet to use for only 1 gallon of milk, the cheese turned out well anyway...
Here is the make....

"Just Jack" (as adapted from Karlin book)
1 gal raw milk
1 cup heavy cream (not ultrapasturized!)
1/4 tsp CaCl in 1/4 cup water
1 pkt C101 mesophilic (from NEC)
1/2 veg rennet tablet in 1/4 cup water
1 tblsp salt

Heated milk to  89 degrees, stirred in calcium chloride, and then culture. Ripen for 45 mins. Added rennet, and rested 35 mins for clean break. Curd cut to 1/2 inch and rested 10 mins. Temp slowly raised to 101 degrees over 45 mins. Ladle off whey and stir for 45 mins keeping temp at 100 degrees. Add 50 degree water to cool the curd to 79 degrees and rest 4 mins. Drain curds, and stirred the curds for 30 mins. Then added salt. Into mold, with 1 # for 15 mins. The cheese was poorly knit at this point, so I put it back in press with 6 # for 30 mins, then 10 # for 8 hours, then 20 # for 3 hours. (The recipe called for 1 # for15 mins, then 4 # for 10 hours.) I waxed the cheese after about 3 weeks.
Susan

anutcanfly

« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2012, 03:19:27 PM »
Looking awesome!  :)  Yes, raw milk really does make a difference!  Karin's book calls for twice what you really need for ingredients. 

Caseus

« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2012, 09:15:37 PM »
Susan, that is a lovely cheese.   Do you know what breed of cow produced the milk?   It was raw, but was it full fat milk (i.e, no cream skimmed off it)?   I'm wondering because you added a cup of heavy cream.  I wouldn't think you'd need to do that if using a full fat whole milk.  But then, if that produces better cheese, it is something to consider.

I do have access to some non-ultrapasteurized heavy cream, but in my neck of the woods all heavy cream has additives in it, like carrageenan and polysorbate.   I haven't been able to find any heavy cream without those additives.  I wonder, is it the additives that make it heavy, i.e., carrageenan added as a thickener?  I have access to pure light pasteurized cream with no additives.  I'm not sure what the fat content difference is between the light cream and the heavy cream.  I'll look into that.

Offline scasnerkay

• Old Cheese
  • Default personal text
« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2012, 11:12:34 PM »
The milk was from a largish company here in California called "Organic Pastures", and their website says Jersey-Holstein milk. I believe it was full fat milk. The recipe called for the extra 1 cup of cream. The cream I used did not have additives, and came from a small dairy in Northern CA.
The body of the cheese is very smooth, with a very pleasant mouth feel. I do not know if this is an effect of the raw milk, or if the extra cream had that effect. I will try the same cheese again with cream top pasturized milk and see how it turns out. But I may lessen the starter and rennet now that I know a bit more about that!
Susan

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 106
    • Deejays Smoke Pit and DSP Forums
« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2012, 03:04:07 AM »
Great looking cheese Susan! You deserve a cheese!

Raw milk is a cheesemakers dream. Truely better flavor and texture IMHO.