Author Topic: Hello From Massachusetts  (Read 1140 times)

jbrun85

Hello From Massachusetts
« on: January 23, 2012, 07:55:17 PM »
Hello All,

I'm just getting into Cheese Making and am very much am enjoying it. So far I have only made Mozzarella, Ricotta, and Colby cheese. In the next week I plan on making a few more soft cheeses (and hopefully 1 hard). I set up an old dorm fridge which holds the temp around 48-50 degrees, and I own a schmidling cheesy press. I cant seem to find a good source of goats milk locally and dont feel comfortable with/ready yet for raw milk. I have a local dairy place that  I am getting most of my milk from. I am primarily using recipes from Ricki Carroll's Book - Home Cheese Making, and I have found that they are clear, and work well.

This looks like a great resource/community.

- Jake

Offline Gürkan Yeniçeri

• The one who masters temperature and humidity can make any cheese.
  • Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 36
  • It's not a hobby, it's an addiction, a good one.
    • Artizan Peynirci
Re: Hello From Massachusetts
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2012, 09:06:26 PM »
Welcome to the forum Jake. You are at the right place...  :D

jbrun85

« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2012, 12:46:08 AM »
Thanks! I'm very excited!

Cheese Head

« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2012, 02:55:19 AM »
Welcome Jake, FYI if want you can change your visible name from your username in your profile, there's a how to in the FAQ Board.

Be careful, this cheesemaking bug can get into your soul, so many cheeses to make and it's a combination of art and science!

jbrun85

« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2012, 12:44:40 AM »
thanks for the tip John. Are you the creator of this forum? If so, it's fantastic!

I just made a feta cheese today (its draining now). I've decided to start keeping track of my cheeses online. Is there a way that other people are doing this already? I've created http://jbrun85.blogspot.com to keep track of everything. Which categories would you keep track of when making your cheese?

Thanks for the hello, and I think I'm already addicted!

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 106
    • Deejays Smoke Pit and DSP Forums
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2012, 12:48:27 AM »
Hello Jake welcome to the forum from your neighbor in CT.