Author Topic: Fat Free/Reduced Fat Cheddar  (Read 4201 times)

horrocks007

Fat Free/Reduced Fat Cheddar
« on: February 26, 2012, 04:10:55 PM »
Has anyone on here made any fat free or reduced fat cheddar cheeses? I was thinking about making one as we use this type of cheese a lot in our everyday eating.

If I use 1% milk instead of whole, will the end result have significantly less fat? Would I do anything else differently than I would normally?

linuxboy

Re: Fat Free/Reduced Fat Cheddar
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2012, 05:33:07 PM »
IMHO, for health reasons, if you want to eat better to improve overall weight and reduce heart disease contributing factors, reduce your carb intake and not fat.

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 106
    • Deejays Smoke Pit and DSP Forums
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2012, 06:34:50 PM »
I agree! I have found that everyones body has a certain level of fat that it needs - if you starve your body it will store those unwanted things and foul everything up. The trick is to find what your body needs and stay in that arena no more no less. No very scientfic but our bodies tell us what it needs it our brain that leads us astray.

horrocks007

« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2012, 01:40:47 AM »
 >:(This is a cheese making forum, I am not asking for advice on how to loose weight. Since you assumed that I was, I will tell you why.

I dooooo need to limit my saturated fat/cholesterol intake because I am genetically predisposed to have higher levels of cholesterol even at a healthy weight. I also take medications to help control my levels, and will for the rest of my life, so does my brother, mother, and two sisters.

I stay away from too much red meats, take omega-3 pills, yada, yada yada.

Soooo, not that I don't indulge now and again, it is nice to have cheese handy for everyday eating, like on sandwiches and salads. Those are places where a little fat free cheese adds some flavor.  I currently buy the Kraft stuff, hey, it's better than nothing, but I wouldn't mind making my own for fun. Particularly a cheddar.

Full fat cheese is reserved for making pizzas out of my wood fired oven, and for sharing sharing with friends.

linuxboy

« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2012, 02:12:48 AM »
I was more saying a general statement about the role fat has in diet and addressing the poor science that has been out there for many decades that limiting fat intake helps to decrease cholesterol levels and helps to lose weight.  I didn't make any assumptions about you specifically. That's why I started with "if". Eating the right fat and a good ratio of fat to carbs to protein will not necessarily help you lose weight. For those underweight, it will help bring up to a better, healthier overall level. Which is why I said "improve". Some people need to gain weight.

Here are some details about the point I'm trying to make
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/dr-mercola/the-cholesterol-myth-that_b_676817.html
http://chriskresser.com/i-have-high-cholesterol-and-i-dont-care
http://chriskresser.com/the-saturated-fat-myth-debunked-in-two-minutes-and-thirty-five-seconds
http://www.westonaprice.org/cardiovascular-disease/myths-a-truths-about-cholesterol
www.hsph.harvard.edu/nutritionsource/what-should-you-eat/fats-and-cholesterol/ (except the info here is is wrong about using canola and avoiding butter)
http://www.cholesterol-and-health.com/Does-Cholesterol-Cause-Heart-Disease-Myth.html

Eating cheese with good fat from grass-fed animals and avoiding carbs has in almost all careful studies both reduced total cholesterol and improved the ratio of HDL to LDL-D (LDL is not all bad, either).

If you really are not convinced and want to make lower fat cheese, one approach to making lower fat cheese is to use a diacetylactis culture like Danisco's LM and adjunct with thermo culture for flavor. Similar to what I do in a stabilized curd recipe I have posted about before.

I didn't mean to be confrontational. I just see so many people harming themselves by avoiding fat because of poor science.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2012, 02:24:17 AM by linuxboy »

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2012, 03:13:57 AM »
OUCH!

I didn't assume your were trying to loose weight but I am of the same mind thought as Linixboy on the dangers of overestricting fat in ones eatting regiment (notice I didn't use the "D" word?).

linuxboy

« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2012, 03:25:52 AM »
See also Max's recent post on a related subject
http://blog.artisanalcheese.com/cheese_news/cheese-is-not-the-cause-of-our-obesity-epidemic-2
And if you are taking statins, read Sally Fallon's article for another perspective http://www.westonaprice.org/cardiovascular-disease/dangers-of-statin-drugs

horrocks007

« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2012, 01:12:52 AM »
Hey, I see a lot of information on here that I would agree with, especially the Harvard stuff, but then there is some really, really bad stuff on there. Like, "you should not take your cholesterol medicine because is increases your risk of heart disease." Really? what kind of advice is that? In fact, that westonaprice website seems like they are on a mission to pass on misinformation, so where did they get all their "facts," from? Ohh, yeah some Dr. in Denmark, real nice, I am sure his studies are sooo bulletproof, the world is rolling over in disbelief from their previous theories.

Most on-line web sights, sight no official data to speak of. Your Dr. Kesser's presentation of the average cholesterol versus heart related death rates, is in no way an official study, there are sooo many variables with his information, it wouldn't take much to debunk his data. And the Harvard school of medicine, contradicts everything else you sent me.  Dr. Kesser's theory can be debunked right here: If low carb diets are soo good then how come in the last 10 years America has just gotten fatter, when millions have gone on low carb diets? (Again, just giving an example in his frame of logic which is ridiculous).

Yes, no one has conclusively proven that diet's high in cholesterol result in higher cholesterol levels, but it has been noted that people who live in areas that consume less saturated fats, have extremely low incidences of heart disease. Maybe it's less stressful in these areas, maybe they don't eat as many carbs, processed foods or have lower sodium intakes. But I will keep getting my health advice from professionals, not from the cheese forum. I do know that cholesterol is synthesized by the human body, and I am genetically predisposed to have higher levels of LDL. My Mother, has had 5 angio operations, know anyone who has gone through that??? She isn't even that overweight and surely wasn't when she had her operations. Our family has been dealing with high cholesterol for over 25 years, when we figured it out, my brother at age 10, skinny as can be, very active too, had a cholesterol level of over 390! You think anyone in our family has those levels now? Do you think we are complete morons who haven't figured out what works and what doesn't? I'll tell you if we listened to some of the crap on that westonaprice website we would have a smaller family.

If you want a real healthy diet for cardiovascular heath here it is: dashdiet.org - The Mayoclinic, Weight Watchers and Jenny Craig used this to model their plans and it has been proven time and time again by many organizations as possibly the most balanced way to eat healthy.

In college, I took many courses on nutrition related subjects: Life Span Nutrition, Personal Nutrition, Medical Nutrition Therapy, Nutrition Assessment, Biochemistry, Athletic Nutrition, Vegetarian Cuisine, Spa Cuisine, and Light and Healthy Desserts to name a few. Many of my classmates became Registered Dietitians, who professionally advise people on diets. In all of my coursework I absolutely learned at least this: The internet IS the absolutely worst place to get Nutrition advice, yes, even worse than body lifting magazines!

Stick to what you know, as none of the sights you sent me are authorities on human nutrition, biochemistry, or medical science (Other than Harvard), and none are interested in discovering or uncovering the truths of heart health and how the human body processes food. (Again Harvard being an exception)

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2012, 03:17:15 AM »
Dude you need to chill. People are only trying to be helpful and you are being rude and down right mean. This is friendly forum with some of the sweetest kindest people on the net. There is more than one way to do things and what works for one may not work for another. So get off you high horse and behave.

linuxboy

« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2012, 03:29:03 AM »
I was just trying to provide an alternative perspective. I can cite many NIH and other studies and findings, like the ones from Gary Taube. But that doesn't matter so much as tasty cheese :)

To make a reduced fat cheese that still tastes good, follow a normal recipe, starting temp of 86F, and a 60% FD+LM culture, 40% thermo culture. You can use this blend in any hard cheese, including milled curd types. If possible, try for it to have at least 1% fat, and the milk cannot be homogenized.

tinysar

« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2012, 10:56:24 AM »
I've been wondering: would adding lipase help here, or are all those tasty hydrolysed fats even worse for you?

This isn't a topic I normally consider (if I want to reduce my cheese-fat intake, I just choose really strongly-flavoured cheeses which are harder to eat in bulk - well, theoretically  ;) ), but I'm curious about the lipase thing.

horrocks007

« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2012, 11:43:17 AM »
Not trying to offend anyone, just giving my perspective on the information that was presented to me. I only asked if anyone has made a fat free cheddar cheese and could help give insight into making one. Instead I get attacked for even thinking about such blasphemy.

Stay tuned as this cheese type has just moved up on my to make list.

I would love to hear from someone who has made one successfully.

anutcanfly

« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2012, 06:03:37 PM »
I don't think I've ever run into a low fat cheddar that didn't bum me out.  When faced with a similar situation as yours I switched to using only very strong flavored cheeses so I could use a lot less.  Extra sharp cheddar, blue, asagio, etc.  Parmesan and other grating cheeses have a good strong flavor and are fine as low fat cheeses.

Please do post your results!  Good luck!  :)

horrocks007

« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2012, 06:47:11 PM »
I was actually thinking of splitting the batch and doing one with a low level of vanilla to boost some of the creamy notes.

linuxboy

« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2012, 07:10:23 PM »
I've been wondering: would adding lipase help here, or are all those tasty hydrolysed fats even worse for you?
Wouldn't be worse. Fat oxidation would be worse, but not enzymatic catabolysis. You could add lipase, sure, so long as you matched the style. Cheddar with lipase is not so great. Thermophilic like parm with lipase is good.

I would love to hear from someone who has made one successfully.
What would you like to know? I provided one starting point. Would you like a few more? Do you want a rundown on the science and considerations/challenges and how we typically overcome them in R&D? Not sure what you need.  I am familiar with and have made cheeses according to the Wisconsin CDR patented low fat process, which is used in many low-fat cheddars. I am also familiar with and have made many low-fat mozzarellas according to several patented technologies. I am also familiar with the work done in Ireland for their low fat creations, although I have not made cheese according to those techniques. These cheeses are all highly technical, but you can make passable versions at home with basic equipment.