Author Topic: Howdy from the middle of nowhere, Beryl Utah  (Read 1362 times)

therealshari

Howdy from the middle of nowhere, Beryl Utah
« on: June 18, 2012, 05:49:32 PM »
Hi there,

I'm Shari, aka threalshari, and am one of the Four Country Gals. We're four "old ladies" well, let's put it this way... most of us are drawing SS, so come to your own conclusions.

A couple of years ago, we were given two Nubian doelings. Last fall I bred them to a 50/50 Boer/Nubian buck. We got two sets of twins... so now I'm milking regularly, as the kids are all weaned. Funny how milking leads to cheese making.

We also have a flock of 30 or so Polypay/Suffolk sheep, which we raise for an ethnic market.

Add to that a few rabbits for our own meat, a flock of chickens for eggs and meat, and a young heifer to be bred this summer (her grandmother made the best burger), and a Certified Organic Produce garden... you could say we're pretty self-sufficient.

So,  I'm here to learn about making cheese from goats milk. Our milk is very sweet and has no "goatiness".

If you check my profile, I've added our web site.

Just by what I've seen so far... I'll have my head in  here forever.

hoeklijn

Re: Howdy from the middle of nowhere, Beryl Utah
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2012, 07:41:56 PM »
Well, welcome from the middle of somewhere, that is a small town in The Netherlands, just between the "cheese" cities of Gouda and Leiden.
I started making cheese when my wife was riding a horse for the owner of a goat farm. First I tried Feta and later the hard Gouda types of cheese, also with goat milk. And also Cabra al Vino, which is a goat cheese that is soaked in red wine for 2x48 hours.
There are tons of information on this forum and don't be afraid to ask. Good luck and keep us posted  ^-^

Offline smolt1

• Mature Cheese
  • Cheeses: 29
  • Default personal text
    • SturdyPress.com
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2012, 08:12:48 PM »
I did a "Google Earth" and you really qualify for being in the boondocks, but no mater where you live you have come to the best place for information and help on anything cheese making.

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 106
    • Deejays Smoke Pit and DSP Forums
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2012, 08:32:05 PM »
Welcome Shari! I am not yet collecting SSI but the light at the end of that tunnel is shining in my eyes! You have indeed found the pot of cheesey gold at the end of the rainbow. Enjoy and be sure to ask if you have questions.

Offline dukegus

• Medium Cheese
  • Cheeses: 1
  • Default personal text
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2012, 09:16:26 PM »
Welcome Shari!
I love the stuff you have there, I wish I had them here and be able to live on my own with no need for anything(ok internet maybe...)

Don't you milk the sheep? You could make some lovely cheese from sheep's milk!!!

knipknup

« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2012, 07:08:33 PM »
Hi Sheri.  Welcome!  I am not quite so far away in Draper, UT.  I checked your profile but don't see a link to your website.  Maybe I don't know where to look.  Anyway, hoping to check it out.  Happy cheese-making.

therealshari

« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2012, 09:59:58 PM »
Hi folks,

Didn't mean to be gone so long. Been busy making cheese, and getting everything else ready for the Downtown Cedar City Farmer's Market. No, there'll be no cheese there from us this year.

Based on some mozzarella, feta, and neufchatel style cheese I've made and shared with neighbors, we're moving forward carefully on business plan to produce cheese from our own goat herd.

I'll be asking questions when I can't find answers, or if I'm trying to vet something I've read or been told. Later, when I become more proficient, I'll return the favor.

Right now, I know I'm doing everything wrong when it comes to sanitation, but I also know what it takes, as I once owned and operated a USDA inspected meat processing plant... tons of rules and regs to follow.