Author Topic: New to the forum  (Read 1027 times)

jerseyknollfarm

New to the forum
« on: July 02, 2012, 10:28:53 PM »
I've posted a couple of questions but I guess I should introduce myself as well.

My name is Rachel.  I live in Gainesville, Missouri.  My husband and I and our 7 children live on a 160 acre farm along with my husband's parents and both his sister's families.  We have a small herd of miniature Jersey cows and also raise pork, grass fed beef, and pastured poultry.  We sell our meat both privately and at a local farmer's market.  We do also sell raw milk direct to consumers.

I have been making about 15 to 25lbs of cheese every week since October of 2011.  I had only dabbled in cheesemaking prior to that.  My goal is to not waste the abundance that the Lord has provided for us.  Although, our hogs would never complain about an extra bucket of milk in their diet.  We like to provide our family with as much natural, organic, and home grown food as possible and that includes all the dairy we consume.

In the future we hope to have a small creamery added onto the back of our home - we have an unfinished porch that could be used for that purpose - and I could make cheeses for sale at the farmer's market as well.

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 344
  • Contemplating cheese
Re: New to the forum
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2012, 01:09:07 AM »
Welcome to the forum, Rachel.

Do you have pictures of your miniature Jersey cows? I'm sure a lot of folks here would enjoy seeing the teacup version of the venerated Jersey breed.  ;)

My wife and I lived in Mountain Home, Arkansas, several years ago. Beautiful country. If you have questions, please don't hesitate to ask. There is a wealth of knowledge available here, including the particulars of starting a creamery or selling to the public.

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!
Bread, beer, wine, cheese...it's all good.

mtncheesemaker

« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2012, 02:23:06 AM »
Hi and welcome. Sounds like you are keeping busy on your farm!
Welcome to the forum; it's a great place to learn about cheese making.
Pam

jerseyknollfarm

« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2012, 05:45:12 AM »
Boofer, the Mountain Home farmer's market is the one we attend.  We moved here from WI 14 years ago and just love it here.

Here is a picture of my husband with one of our mini's, Lily.  He is 6ft tall (for comparison).  The mother of this particular cow is in my avatar.

Offline dukegus

• Medium Cheese
  • Cheeses: 1
  • Default personal text
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2012, 10:22:24 AM »
Greetings Rachel,
everyone in this forum seems to have amazing life with cattle/sheep/goat and a big farm :)

Welcome!!

FarmerJd

« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2012, 08:21:11 PM »
Welcome to the forum. Great to hear about your farm and family. Good luck with your plans.

Offline Vina

• Mature Cheese
  • Cheeses: 4
  • Default personal text
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2012, 09:55:44 AM »
Jerseyknollfarm, welcome to the Forum. It's a great place to be, share and learn :)

I wish you all the success with your plans and keep [psting your news.

p.s. what a beautifull animal on picture!