Beaufort recipe

Started by curiouser_alice, February 11, 2018, 09:02:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

curiouser_alice

Who has tried Beaufort and has a recipe they highly recommend?
I have three separate cheese books and no recipe for Beaufort.

All help appreciated.

FooKayaks2

curiouser_alice

Sailor's recipe "aggressively sticks" to the cheesecloth LOL
no kidding

GortKlaatu

A good trick to keep these kinds of cheese from adhering to the cheese cloth is to acidify the cheese cloth with a bit of vinegar wash. Mine never stick now.
Somewhere, some long time ago, milk decided to reach toward immortality... and to call itself cheese.

curiouser_alice

I did soak in vinegar but I still had one area that just ripped off.  Oh well.

panamamike

I know I haven't made very many cheeses, but to throw my two cents in, I use poly web disposable cheese cloth.

I have had no problem with any cheeses sticking. I think this is also what Sailor Con Queso uses.

Don't be fooled by the name disposable. I have used mine multiple times is still good.

I rinse in hot water and sterilize it with the no rinse product STERAMINE .

GortKlaatu

My issue with the "disposable" stuff is that with a very heavy cheese, when you're trying to pull it up around the sides to minimize the wrinkles, it often tears.  Have you had that problem?

Somewhere, some long time ago, milk decided to reach toward immortality... and to call itself cheese.

H-K-J

Try soaking your cloth in the whey from your make,  the PH will be the same as the cheese, it shouldn't stick.
Never hit a man with glasses, use a baseball bat!
http://cocker-spanial-hair-in-my-food.blogspot.com/

Andrew Marshallsay

Quote from: H-K-J on March 16, 2018, 01:57:18 AM
Try soaking your cloth in the whey from your make,  the PH will be the same as the cheese, it shouldn't stick.
I made my first butterkase recently. Soaked the cloth in whey but it still stuck. Something I've never had with any other cheese.
- Andrew

panamamike

I haven't had that problem Gort.

Boofer

Quote from: curiouser_alice on February 11, 2018, 09:02:22 PM
Who has tried Beaufort and has a recipe they highly recommend?
I have three separate cheese books and no recipe for Beaufort.

All help appreciated.
Sorry, Alice, I'm coming to this a little late. :-[

I have had some success with my Beaufort #4 and Beaufort #6. If you search on Beaufort, you'll find there is quite extensive dialogue.

-Boofer-

Let's ferment something!
Bread, beer, wine, cheese...it's all good.

AnnDee

Quote from: Raw Prawn on March 16, 2018, 06:56:21 AM
Quote from: H-K-J on March 16, 2018, 01:57:18 AM
I made my first butterkase recently. Soaked the cloth in whey but it still stuck. Something I've never had with any other cheese.

Soak in whey and vinegar. If the cheese sticks, spray vinegar directly on the stuck part, leave 1-2 minutes. You can rinse the cheese in whey to rid of extra vinegar. This works for me.

curiouser_alice

Thank you Boofer.  Going to try again soon and I will look at these recipes.

Andrew Marshallsay

Quote from: AnnDee on April 28, 2018, 03:34:20 PM
Soak in whey and vinegar. If the cheese sticks, spray vinegar directly on the stuck part, leave 1-2 minutes. You can rinse the cheese in whey to rid of extra vinegar. This works for me.
Thanks, Ann. Sounds like good advice.
- Andrew

curiouser_alice

Sailor's recipe was delicious.  I'd show you but I ate it all.  Going to try this again.