Sandy Feel on outside of Iberico/Hispanico

Started by bansidhe, June 19, 2021, 11:28:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bansidhe

Hi, I made an Iberico type cheese last week. It was my first cheese make in which I felt I hit all the points of the recipe (I am leaning you cannot rely on recipes but for now...).  So, I was quite pleased.  I am about 5 days after putting the cheese in the cave (~53F 85%RH).
When I flip the cheese I notice what feels like a gritty or sandy texture.  Not a thick, densely placed sandy texture, more as it it were sprinkled with salt.  I tested the grit" and it does not taste salty.  In fact, it has pretty much no taste at all.  Here is a pic of the cheese and one of the substance on my hands.  It feels milk derived...
What could this be? Lactic Crystals? Is my cheese doomed? (It is starting to develop a nice slimy surface)
Making cheese is easy, making a cheese is hard

Boofer

Just a suggestion....

If you start a thread with a new cheese, any updates or revelations encountered subsequently should be included in that original thread rather than start a new thread. It makes it easier to follow your history with that cheese.

As the author of a thread, you can edit previous posts and kill a duplicated thread after you've copied it to your original thread...if no one has posted after you.

I think the white grit might be geo. It's normally a good sign. ;)

-Boofer-

Let's ferment something!
Bread, beer, wine, cheese...it's all good.

bansidhe

Making cheese is easy, making a cheese is hard