Author Topic: Fermented pickles  (Read 3138 times)

Jaspar

Fermented pickles
« on: August 07, 2011, 04:25:10 PM »
 I would like to start making my own fermented pickles and wanted to know if whey could be used to jump start the Lactic Acid production in the brine?

Jaspar

smilingcalico

Re: Fermented pickles
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2011, 07:36:36 PM »
Jaspar, I don't have any personal experience, but someone suggested in a thread of mine that it could be used in olive making, so I don't see why not. 

MrsKK

« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2011, 10:23:30 PM »
Sally Fallon's book, Nourishing Traditions, has many recipes for fermented veggies, including pickles, using whey.  At a quick glance, her one quart recipe for cucumber pickles includes 4 tablespoons whey.

I've never done it before, but I'm planning on trying whey as a starter with my sauerkraut this year.  Mother Earth News had a recipe for a Tabasco-style pepper sauce, with the pepper pulp being fermented for a month.  I plan on trying that, too, if I can get enough peppers and will use whey in the make.

If you try it, please let us know what you think.

darius

« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2011, 01:05:01 AM »
Jaspar, I use whey in all my fermented pickles... and I make many kinds! I also use it to jump start apple cider vinegar. There are some recipes and techniques on my blog, under 'fermented vegetables'...

Jaspar

« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2011, 02:20:08 AM »
 Thanks all, I started a gallon today adding 1/4 cup of well strained whey,can't wait I love a great pickle. Darius you have a great site :D
                                          Jaspar

george

« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2011, 08:45:48 AM »
Sally always used to say (unfortunately after the various printings of NT) that you couldn't use whey from hard cheese-making for this.  I don't remember exactly why.  I used to make Ron Schmid's version of lemon cheese and use the whey from that instead. 

But Darius, it seems as though it's working fine for you anyway?

Tomer1

« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2011, 10:16:02 AM »
The strain used in pickles (Lactobacillus plantarum)  is different then the strains used in cheesemaking however making pickles is one big party of spontanious fermentation so many culture may participate.
Usually there is no need for culture,just sterilize your jar with boiling water.
Clean your veg under runing water if any dirt is on it and use 2-2.5% brine solution.
I have found that you normally wight the wight of your brine to be equal or greater then the wight of your veg to get a good salty enviroment otherwise the veg may expell water which will dilute your brine to 1-1.5% leading to bland taste and improper fermentation enviroment.

george

« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2011, 10:50:08 AM »
True.  I never actually used whey for cabbage or cucumbers, just for other types of veggies that didn't already have so many of the right buggies all on their own.

Jaspar

« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2011, 11:13:11 AM »
What did you do this weekend? This is what Me, my Wife and the kids did,
From left to right 5 gallons of Dill Pickles, 1 gallon of Sauerkraut, and a quart
of Kim chi . We are doing them the old fashion way natural fermentation.
We did dill pickles in a gallon jug just to see how it would go and it was great,
best dills I've ever ate (half sours). Check out the homemade pill bottle air locks,
McGiver I ain't  but I'm trying.
   A special thanks to Darius, you are the woman!!! A cheese for you. Your blog is
what got all of this started. For anyone that hasn't checked it out, you should !!
Here is the link  http://www.2footalligator.blogspot.com/

Jaspar and Family

darius

« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2011, 11:26:15 AM »
Good Job, Jaspar & Family!!

You'll have some fine eatin' over the winter. I'm anxiously awaiting my fall beets and cauliflower for some more ferments!

Jaspar

« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2011, 12:09:18 AM »
  Well a quick update on the pickles. WOW i don't think I'll ever make pickles any other way.
The kimchi was the first done and it is good and hot and hot and good, next were the pickles.
We Jarred the 5 gallon of pickles in three one gallon jars, also we had about a 3/4th a gallon left over
so we put them in a bowl in the fridge. That was three days ago. Well we have about 8 or 9 pickles left,
the kids have been eating them non stop even as a snack before bed. My wife says we need to make
at least one more 5 gallon batch or maybe 2 just to last the winter. Now on to the sauerkraut,
again I'll never make it another way, matter of fact we just got another gallon of it going today.

Jaspar

Tomer1

« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2011, 02:10:29 AM »
I recently made some mix pickles (colliflowers,carrots,cabbage and celery sticks) in eastern style.
Its called jershy pronounced Jer-shi-ee. Its uses an indian spice blend called amba.
The main ingridient in the mix is turmeric so the pickles turn bright yellow about a week after fermentation.
If you have access to a middle eastern spice shop ask about it,
These pickles are very popular in the arab kitchens and they are devine.
Unique aroma (in addion to the fermentation aromas!) and flavour.

My snack of choice is pickles (of any kind) dipped in thini (or humus).

MrsKK

« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2011, 04:59:53 PM »
Jaspar - I love the airlocks!  Can you share how you made them?  Also, what recipe did you use for your dill pickles?  I would really like to try them out.

Jaspar

« Reply #13 on: August 25, 2011, 11:20:26 PM »
I just posted a long post with pictures and it did not show up, so i hit refresh and it told me Error you just posted it, well I still don't see it. I willtry to get it retyped later tonight or tomarrow

jaspar

MrsKK

« Reply #14 on: August 26, 2011, 11:46:19 PM »
Isn't it just the pits when that happens?  No worries - I won't be pickling any time in the next couple of weeks.  Thank you for your efforts.