Author Topic: Mozzarella Frustration at 3:00 In The Morning  (Read 2512 times)

breadbakinglady

Mozzarella Frustration at 3:00 In The Morning
« on: January 01, 2012, 10:21:18 AM »
It's 3:00 AM,
ought to force myself out of bed to check the PH of the curd.

PH is 5.5
The first thing noticed is the stronger cheese smell, not bad, but not an altogether pleasant smell either.
Tear off a small piece to make at test stretch.
Not knowing, but apprehensive,  the curd mass seems tight and rubbery. Feels not unlike Silly Putty.

Stretch test indicates a short 2 times length stretch before breaking. Thinking that might be good for 5.5 PH.
The rubberiness seems to have carried over post stretch.
-----------------------------
Now for the submission of evidentiary testimony.

The hard evidence;
   2 gallons fresh Jersey cow's milk, 1 day old, no processing whatsoever (other than refrigeration).
   1/2 teaspoon liquid calf rennet.
   •1/4 teaspoon Lipase
   1 packet C201 Thermophilic Culture.

The "soft" evidence;
   •  2 gallons milk into 12 quart stainless stockpot.
   •  Warm milk slowly to 90 degrees F by submersion of stockpot into 125° water, slowly stirred.
   •  Sprinkle 1 packet of culture evenly over surface of milk, wait several minutes then stir gently.
   •  Milk maintained at 90° for 85 minutes, PH 6.4
   •  Rennet diluted with 1/4 cup water is added. Lightly stirred from bottom up with a 8 oz. ladle.
   •  4 inch plastic bowl placed on top, movement of bowl stopped at 10.5 minutes.
       An impression of the bowl's bottom remains visible on the surface.
   •  Cut the curd into 2 inch squares at 32 minutes from time of rennet addition. Nice clean cut.
   •  Cut the curd into 1/2 inch cubes at 47 minutes from time of rennet addition. Again, nice clean cut.
   •  Curd rested for 10 minutes then gently stirred. Whey separating nicely, curds not clumping at all.
   •  Submerse stockpot into maintained 120° water,  occasional light stir, curds reach 104° in 55 minutes.
   •  Curds sit for 1.5 hours, several very light stirrings, PH 6.2
   •  Pour off the whey through stainless colander, place lid on colander.
   •  Place colander on a rack just above maintained 125° water to maintain curds at about 80°-85°
   •  Do a PH test on the curds at an hour later, PH 6.5. (This is troubling, why did the PH rise?)
   •  Test the PH hourly, PH stays at 6.5 for several hours, then drops to 6.3 at 8 hours post pouring off whey.
   •  Can't take much more of this. Snuggle into bed.
   • It's 3:00 AM, 15 hours since pouring off the whey, PH is 5.5, still concerned about the dense rubbery feel.

Opinion:
   I don't think this is going to end well.
---------------------------------
This all started watching a man on a Saturday morning at an authentic Italian specialty store stretch Mozzarella from premade curd (he said it had been frozen).
The warm soft creamy samples he offered were consumed with delight.
Then came the never should have been wild thought -- I could do this, only better with genuine Jersey cow's milk.
This could be the manifestation of old age related mental problems or just a extreme challenge to the confidence of being able to learn most anything.

Tomer1

Re: Mozzarella Frustration at 3:00 In The Morning
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2012, 11:07:01 AM »
Ive decided against starting a cheese after 6 pm and made my last night-time one last week,  never again! :)
Merphy's law always work best at night giving you glitchs.

Unfortunatly Ive never made muzz so I cant help you.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2012, 11:13:28 AM by Tomer1 »

Cloversmilker

« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2012, 04:20:04 PM »
I have also been frustrated with mozz recipes akin to the one you used.  I've recently had very good success though with this mozz recipe.
http://cheeseforum.org/forum/index.php/topic,4155.0.html
It produced tasty little mozz balls which were gobbled up by the family.  (Look mom, it melts!   ;D)  It is also less work to make.  Next time I make this, I'm going to try heating the whey to a slightly lower temp (170-175F) to see if the mozz is a little softer.  FYI, I make a half recipe with raw Jersey milk. 

breadbakinglady

« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2012, 02:00:50 PM »
Well, as predicted, it didn't end well.

The curds took 42 hours to drop to 5.2, all the while the curd mass got tighter and tighter. A hard rubbery mass.
Tired of the endeavor and highly frustrated, the curd mass was placed in the freezer.

Last Saturday night the curd mass was removed from the freezer and thawed. If it stretches I'll try it on pizza.

Surprise! It stretched easily and beautifully without the loss of butterfat, the hot water remained relatively clear.
The formed balls however did have a rubbery feel to them.

After cooling in cold water, a ball was sliced on a Hobart slicer to nice even slices for the evenings pizza. Optically the texture appeared to be what one would expect of Mozzarella, the feel still indicated a rubbery component.
Put an end piece in my mouth, a definite cheesy flavor most like Swiss cheese though there was an off taste of something unpleasant.

The mozzarella melted nicely on the pizza and didn't brown, the taste could be readily discerned despite a loaded pizza. I didn't particularly like it.
Tried the left over mozzarella cheese slices on crackers, if not for the moderate rubbery, teeth squeaking and the off taste attributes it would have been actually pretty good.

I slavishly followed the recipe on the Washington Cheese Guild by pav.
Furthermore, I scrupulously followed the five things found on this board.
Five factors need to come together for moist mozz: correct curd size/multiplier (2", 15 min heal, then cut to 1/2", 3x floc), fat content (3% min), low cook temp (appropriate for culture type), adequate acid (5.0-5.1), and gentle handling (pull instead of knead).  One or more of these is off if it is rubbery.

Perhaps my end result is exactly what authentic Italian made Mozzarella really is. I have no basis to judge my final product.
It reminds me of the time I labored to produce authentic lye dipped New York bagels. The bagels came out perfectly, however they tasted like a big overgrown pretzel. I had no idea of what an authentic bagel would taste like. And, I don't like pretzels. Point is, our foods have been so commercialized and so compromised to appeal to the masses that the real tastes and textures of the product they were based on has been long ago lost.
The wonderful milky cloud like mozzarella sample the man stretching the curd in the authentic Italian store gave to me was not authentic Italian mozzarella but undoubtedly a commercially modified version proven acceptable to the most people's expectations.

The farmer where I purchased the fresh Jersey cow's milk stated he was feeding haylage.
Haylage is a relatively high moisture hay fermented in a silo. It has a distinctly unpleasant sour odor (to me at least).
The off-taste wasn't exactly comparable to the haylage smell, but could be characterized as in the same class of sour smell.
------------------------------------------------------
I will try this again in the summer months, but for now I'll just chalk this up to a learning experience.

To those of you that are thinking about trying to make your own mozzarella, you are pretty much on your own.
The culture and rennet suppliers don't offer a workable repeatable recipe because they want you to buy their books.
The web mozzarella information is a cacophony of incomplete mumbo jumbo by those mostly seeking community rather than offering a solid provable process.

linuxboy

« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2012, 02:18:37 PM »
It's a tough cheese, sorry you're having trouble. But don't give up! I think you are well on your way. From what you describe, it sounds like you had rich milk that may have been slightly contaminated, or just had a large concentration of common bacteria such as enterococci.

As for the make, I think you were extremely close. The make I wrote is detailed, but still needs to be tweaked for each milk type. Acidity is really crucial. If your milk is such that it is acidifying slowly, and you're still having a squeak, then a good idea is to adjust your target pH at the critical points. Meaning, wait a little longer before adding rennet... sch as 6.3, and drain when the acidity build up to 6.0-6.1. Then it will take much, much less time to become stretchy.

As for the squeak/rubberyness, that points to a high residual calcium content. Solveable by building up more acid before rennetting, and letting the cheese acidify more. Traditional buffalo milk mozz is stretched at 4.9-4.0 for example. All that casein in the milk means it can acidify more while still being stretchy.

breadbakinglady

« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2012, 04:58:36 AM »
Thanks linuxboy,

It was definitely a high butterfat milk and I was pleased with the process that very little fat was lost.

As to the possibility there was bacterial contamination in the milk I purchased, that is a very real possibility.
The off-taste and smell would lend itself more towards a bacteria associated with fecal material.
After stretching I noticed that smell on the latex gloves I had used, even after slicing (bare hands) my hands took on that smell.
Probably shouldn't have eaten the stuff uncooked, but fortunately it didn't have any effect on the digestive system at all. I laugh to myself as this reminds me of a bread baked in the backwoods of Kentucky that is formulated with "bad" bacteria. http://www.joepastry.com/2008/07/

The farm was an Amish place that had a valid Pennsylvania Raw Milk Permit, however from being around a my spouse's home dairy farm years ago I recognized that the Amish place seemed somewhat less clean than I would expect. When I left the farm I had already decided I wouldn't come back again.

We own the old farm now and run some beef cattle on it to keep from having to mow it. When the weather gets nice I think I'll purchase a couple Jersey cows and try this all over again. Vertical integration is what they call it, having complete control of the process.

I do believe you nailed it -- contaminated milk.

I now wish I had done a test on the milk as described on page 6 of this article:
http://www.fao.org/ag/AGAInfo/themes/documents/milk/mozzarella.pdf

Offline NimbinValley

• Mature Cheese
  • Cheeses: 7
  • Default personal text
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2012, 05:16:10 AM »
Just to flesh out the idea of the contaminated milk...

Our cows are pasture fed but once when I was short of milk I used some from my partner's brother's farm, who uses maize silage.

When I tasted the first lot of cams that came from that milk it was universally claimed "it tastes like corn" or worse, "corn silage".  So the tastes do come through.

NVD

linuxboy

« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2012, 05:22:59 AM »
The contamination certainly doesn't help things, but my real emphasis was that for mozz, subtle variations have a good deal to do with texture and mouthfeel differences. If it was too rubbery, try again but tweak a few parameters, like letting it acidify longer before adding rennet, or cut the curds a bit larger, or stir less. It's not unusual to not get it right the first couple of times. In your case, I think you weren't that far off. :)

As for the flavor, feed has a huge deal to do with flavor. For example, did you know that when goats are fed grain, in some cases, it produces an allergic reaction in people with celiac? Metabolism is not a magical factory, inputs do influence outputs.

MrsKK

« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2012, 09:19:43 PM »
Before having my own cow in milk, I was buying raw milk from an organic dairy.  I noticed that the milk had an after-taste that could only be described as "cow-y".  I don't experience that with my cow at all, but she is not fed silage, only hay, grain, beet pulp and whatever fresh grass or vegies I can get my hands on.  Feed does make a difference in flavor.

Don't give up based on this one experience.  Many people with a lot of "cheese under their belt" have been challenged by mozzarella.  It isn't mumbo-jumbo.

Crystal

« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2012, 09:44:06 AM »
I reckon that if human milk can change tastes then so can cow milk. I know nothing about cow milk, but human milk changes taste through out the day, from hour to hour and during a feed. For example, the start of a feed has a high water content, then after a few minutes it changes to a higher fat content, then later changes to a sweeter taste. Thus humans from birth are used to having a drink with their main meal then dessert afterwards! So i can only assume cows milk goes through the same thing. It can also vary depending on foods, like garlic, cabbage, red meat. And taste changes with hormones, illness, etc. And allergens can be passed on too. Peanut, lactose, also medications. The reason i mention all these things is that you really need to be careful with milk, if it tastes/smells funny... it could be anything, and you may not know! But also the time the cows are milked, how well they are milked and many other factors all play a part in the final milk...

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 106
    • Deejays Smoke Pit and DSP Forums
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2012, 10:39:16 PM »
I have to agree completely with Karen. I have several places I can get raw milk and one just has a strange aftertaste in the winter. Summer all are fine although (i do have my ywo favorites) as the cows are happily grazing on fresh green grass but the the winter this one farm the milk has an after taste like sour molasses or something. All I can say is they have 3 huge silos and I see them chop the corn stalks and stuff so I suspect that might be the cause. BTW I LOVE the taste of raw milk. I grew up on it and had to 'acquire a taste' for the watery store bought milk over many years absence from the farm.

Offline ArnaudForestier

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 45
  • Default personal text
    • Paul's FB
« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2012, 11:06:39 PM »
I'm sorry I can't offer anything but my appreciation for your intrepid spirit, breadbakinglady....from a guy who once got the joneses to brew a decoction lager outdoors (-10F), at 3 a.m.  A "Helles Bock" was affectionately renamed "Hellandback Bock" by my beloved, as I had to stop and restart the %&*%&^%$# make in the middle (busted lauter screen....another story). 

At any rate, I do applaud your work ethic, and look forward to following your progress.

Paul
- Paul